Student Academic Services Logo 2014  Student Academic Services (SAS)

Visa Information

Social Security Number (SSN) Information

A Social Security Number (SSN) is issued by the Social Security Administration, an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The card bears a unique nine-digit identification number and is issued to qualified individuals. Students who work on campus are required to obtain a Social Security card. The Student Academic Services Office will aid students in obtaining their Social Security card, which is “valid for work only with DHS authorization.”

Criteria and How to Apply

Five Easy Steps to Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN)

  1. Find a Campus Job (or, with proper authorization only, an off-campus job). For current on-campus openings, click here.
  2. Your supervisor can email the following details to your DSO:
    • Name and telephone number of supervisor
    • Number of hours you will work
    • Start date of the  position
  3. Your DSO will produce a letter with the above information and verifying your status.
  4. Complete the application form for a new SSN.
  5. Take the following items to the nearest Social Security Administration (SSA) office:
    • I-20
    • Passport (with visa stamp)
    • I-94
    • Skidmore ID
    • Letter of employment authorization and/or letter from DSO
    • Completed application form for a new SSN

Where to Apply

(This office is accessible by CDTA/public transportation, free using your Skidmore ID.)

Social Security
Eighth floor
One Broadway Center
Schenectady, NY 12305

Hours: 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday; 9 a.m.–noon Wednesday

Click here for directions on how to get to the Schenectady SSA office using CDTA.

Click here for a map of the neighborhood around the Schenectady SSA office.

(this office is also an option, but it is not accessible by CDTA):

Social Security
Suite 1
17 Cronin Road
Queensbury, NY 12804

Hours: 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday; 9 a.m.–noon Wednesday

Social Security Number Ineligibility Letter

There are times when an international student will need a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) citing they are ineligible for a SSN (e.g. when applying for a New York State learner’s permit, driver’s license, or non-driver’s license ID).  To receive this letter, you must visit any SSA office with the following documents: