Sociology explores the intracacies of our social worlds, from how we interact in small groups to crime and deviance, from race and gender relations to love and divorce, from the role of religion to environmental justice, and more. As a sociology major, you will study concepts such as social structure and inequality and social norms, roles, and identity, which will deepen your awareness of the social forces affecting peoples’ lives and enable you to address a host of social issues critically and constructively. Recent graduates have pursued careers in law, public health, business, teaching, governmental agencies, and non-governmental organizations. Many have earned advanced degrees in law, criminal justice, public health, nursing, social work, and education.
*Note: In the spirit of the liberal arts, some sociology students opt for a cross-disciplinary major, sociology-anthropology.
- Environmental Sociology
- Close Relationships
- Femininities and Masculinities
- Social Issues in Black America
- Race and Power
- Women in Modern Society
- Sociology of Emotions
- Sociology of Religion
Recent faculty-student collaborative research projects:
- Racial Identity and Unemployment in US Metropolitan Areas
- Predictors of Positive Assessment of the Tenure and Promotion Process
- Faculty Perceptions of Student Respect
- Measures of Success & What Works: Social Movements that Make Things Happen
- Helping launch a new model of microcredit loans in Rwanda with New York City-based Atikus Insurance Inc.
- Teaching math to low-income middle schoolers at Dorchester, Mass.-based Tech Boston Academy
- Experiencing conservation farming in Costa Rica through International Field Research Expeditions
Popular study abroad programs: Danish Institute for Study Abroad, Copenhagen (Denmark); Skidmore in Spain: Madrid and Alcala; and CIEE Arts & Sciences, Cape Town (South Africa)
Recent senior seminar paper topics:
- Upward Mobility among Immigrants and Native-born Americans
- Immigrant Experience in New York City Schools
- Relationship of Income Trends and Food Security
- The Effect of Internet Usage: How Family Structure in Adolescent Time Affects Personal Success
- Are We Losing Our Religion? How Web Use and Education Affects Millenials' Confidence in Organized Religion
- The Fruits of Faith: How Perceived Religiosity and Religious Service Attendance Affects Happiness
- Are Jocks Always Popular? The Impact of Gender on the Social Inclusion and Self-Esteem of Student Athletes
- Negative Attitudes Toward Blacks and Gun Ownership
- Latinos in Higher Education: The Effects of Region of Residence on the Educational Attainment of Latinos
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- Social worker/spiritual director, Assabet Valley Pastoral Counseling Center, Westborough, Mass.
- Psychotherapist, Associates in Psychotherapy, South Burlington, Vt.
- Bilingual recruitment specialist, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Erie County, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Physician-neonatologist, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- Legal counsel, Boston Redevelopment Authority, Boston, Mass.
- Math resources teacher, Bridgeport Board of Education, Bridgeport, Conn.
- Assistant district attorney, Bronx County District Attorney's Office, Bronx, N.Y.
- Global marketing manager, Calvin Klein, New York, N.Y.
- Counselor, Cambridge Public School District, Cambridge, Mass.
- Supreme Court judge, Chemung County Supreme Court, Elmira, N.Y.
- Director, National Accounts, Cigna Corporation, Quakertown, Pa.
- Psychiatric social worker, City of Berkeley, Berkeley, Calif.
- Assistant professor of sociology, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C.
- Manager, federal government relations, Con Edison, Washington, D.C.
- Fund manager, G Asset Management, Concept Capital, NYC
- Intelligence research specialist, Deptartment of Justice/FBI, Boston, Mass.
- VP of marketing and creative, Disney Channel, Burbank, Calif.
- Corporate bond broker, First Brokers Securities Inc., Jersey City, N.J.
- Mobile applications analyst lead, GEICO, Kensington, Md.
- Senior account executive, Google, NYC
- Head of sales and marketing, Grant Paddle Co., North Falmouth, Mass.
- Third grade teacher, Green Oaks Academy, East Palo Alto, Calif.
- Mayor, Harding Township, New Vernon, N.J.
- Senior manager, external affairs, Hoover Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Registrar/collections manager, Hyde Museum, Glens Falls, N.Y.
- College guidance counselor, International High School, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Managing director, JP Morgan, NYC
- Consumer planning director, Kraft Foods/Mktg. Services, Grattpark, Switzerland
- Entertainment attorney, Vinca Jarrett & Associates, Boston, Mass.
- Special education teacher, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Director of social work, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Mass.
- Managing director, Movement Strategy Center, San Francisco, Calif.
- Assistant professor of sociology, Nazareth College, Rochester, N.Y.
- Assistant professor of criminal justice, Northeastern University, Boston, Mass.
- Budget analyst, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Albany, N.Y.
- Coordinator of development/PR, Safe Passage, Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Attorney, Social Security Administration, Seattle, Wash.
Graduate Schools: A sampler of where our alumni go
- Brandeis University
- New York University
- Northeastern University
- Pennsylvania State University
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Vermont
- University of Washington