The minor in arts administration combines artistic sensibilities with business acumen and requires the successful completion of the following three components: Core Courses, Knowledge of the Artistic Process, and Structured Field Experience. At least one course must be completed at the 300-level.
Core Courses (min. 16 credits)
- AA 201 - Foundations of Arts Administration (3 credits)
- AA 221 - Philanthropy and the Arts: Relationships and Revenue (3 credits)
- MB 214 - Foundations Of Marketing (3 credits)
- MB 234 - Foundations Of Accounting I (4 credits)
- Elective - One focused 200- or 300-level elective approved in-advance by the Director of Arts Administration from one of the following disciplines: art, art history, dance, management and business, music, or theatre. The elective should be considered as the opportunity to tailor the student’s interest within the field. Students are encouraged to explore courses from disciplines outside of their major that advance those interests. In rare instances and with the explicit approval of the Director of Arts Administration, a student may select a course from a discipline not listed above. The elective should be taken following the successful completion of AA 201 and AA 221 . (min. 3 credits)
Knowledge of the Artistic Process
Inherent in the name of the field itself, arts administration requires an explicit and supplemental knowledge of the artistic process. Students may fulfill this requirement by either 1) declaring a companion major or minor in art, art history, dance, music or theater, or, 2) completing three additional courses beyond the requirements above that will provide depth of knowledge of the artistic process. In order to satisfy the requirement, supplemental courses must be approved in advance of registration by the Director of Arts Administration, and, if necessary, the arts administration advisory group. In some cases, co-curricular experience may substitute for one of these three courses.
Structured Field Experience (min. 3 credits)
Determined in-concert with the Director of Arts Administration, the structured field experience will afford the student the opportunity to apply classroom knowledge to practice in a professional setting or explore a particular topic of great interest to the student through an in-depth independent study.
- AA 299 - Professional Internship: Arts Administration or
- AA 399 - Professional Internship: Arts Administration or
- AA 371
Total Number of Courses in Minor: 6
Total Number of Credits in Minor: 19 (min.)
Multiple Counting of Courses
Standard College rules apply for the multiple counting of courses as stated in the effective catalog. Specifically, there can be no more than a two-course overlap in total for a major/minor program or for two minor fields. The student is responsible for being familiar with and following the appropriate guidelines.