Middle States Accreditation 2004-2006
The Middle States accreditation process began fall semester 2004 and lasted two years as the Steering Committee collected information, drafted the institutional self-study, and revised and shaped the final report that was sent to the team of reviewers. The Middle States Steering Committee membership is linked below.
The Middle States' team chair visited during fall semester 2005 in preparation for the spring 2006 final visit along with a team of generalists who reviewed our documentation material to determine our compliance with Middle States Standards.
The self-study process is designed to be as inclusive as possible, involving every
aspect of the college. It should both represent the college now and help us to establish
and implement goals. Skidmore chose to undertake a focused self-study to enable us
specifically to focus on student engagement: on where and how our students are most
(or least) engaged in their education. Within that focus, we studied three particular
subtopics: students' engagement in their first-year experience; in the sciences; and
in intercultural learning in domestic and global contexts.
The final Self-Study and the appendices are found on the Reports page.
The final visit by the team occurred on March 19-22, 2006 when four reviewers in addition to the team chair discussed the self-study and Skidmore's aspirations with various constituencies.
Middle States Review Team, Spring 2006
- Joanne Creighton, President, Mount Holyoke College
- Dr. Linda S. Fritz, Professor of Physics & Astronomy, Department of Physics & Astronomy, Franklin & Marshall College
- Dr. Lisa Gates, Associate Dean of the College, Wesleyan University
- Dr. Joseph A. Tolliver, Dean of the College, Haverford College
- Dr. Neil B. Weissman, Provost and Dean of the College, Dickinson College
- On 11 April 2006, the Middle States Review Team posted their Final Team Report.
- On 26 April 2006, President Glotzbach wrote a Skidmore Response to the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Both of these documents are linked below.
- On 23 June 2006, the Middle States Commission on HIgher Education acted to reaffirm accreditation.