Charles Henry Keyes
Charles Henry Keyes,
a well-known educator from Teachers College, Columbia University,
became Skidmore’s first president in 1912. His vision and energy
gave the school the momentum it needed to grow into something
more than a hybrid college and vocational school. In 1922 Dr.
Keyes fulfilled his avowed ambition of having the Skidmore School
of Arts chartered as Skidmore College, a four-year degree-granting
In addition to developing a liberal arts curriculum that became
the basis for Skidmore’s present curriculum, Dr. Keyes pioneered
the formation of a baccalaureate nursing program and began the
more active shaping of a campus. By the time of his death in
1925, Dr. Keyes had played a key role in acquiring several of
the large Victorian homes overlooking Congress Park, which began
to give the College a recognizable physical identity.
The Keyes Quadrangle (Howe, Rounds, and Wait halls and Jonsson
Tower) is named for him.
Creative Thought Matters.