Henry T. Moore
Henry T. Moore became Skidmore’s second president in 1925, ready to
take on the challenge of developing the young college both academically
Moore's 32-year presidency brought Skidmore College to a position
of leadership in women’s education. Under his tenure, academic
programs were developed and refined, and an excellent faculty
recruited. A library, infirmary, residence halls, and dining
halls were built, and other acquisitions allowed the College
to grow further.
Even more significant than his
administrative and financial abilities was his influence on a generation
of Skidmore students whom he inspired to intellectual and creative
achievement. The young college had grown to an enrollment of more than
1,100 by his retirement in 1957.
Moore Hall, the only building on the Scribner campus still in use, and the Moore Quadrangle (Kimball, Penfield, Wilmarth, and McClellan halls) are
named for him.
Creative Thought Matters.