Skidmore School of Arts
The Young Women's Industrial Club (est.
1903) became the Skidmore School of Arts in August 1911. Lucy
Skidmore Scribner designed a pin for the new entity. Though it was not intended
as an official school seal, the design was eventually reproduced
and used as a logotype.
On September 5, the Saratogian published this item explaining the design:
NOTES OF INTEREST FROM THE SKIDMORE SCHOOL OF ARTS
New School Pin.
A new school pin, designed and presented to the faculty members
by Mrs. Scribner, has been adopted. It will be generally used
The design for the pin shows as a background a wheel from a
spinning wheel; upon this is an equi-lateral triangle for science;
upon this a Lyre, symbolizing music; an open book, for learning;
and the Caduceus for business. A quaint "S" is entwined through
Caduceus, Mercury's rod, is a wand entwisted by two serpents,
borne by Mercury as an ensign of quality and office. On medals
the Caduceus is a symbol of good conduct, peace and prosperity.
The rod represents power; the serpents, wisdom; and the two
wings, diligence and activity.
Creative Thought Matters.