Leadership and Service Through Music
We are pleased to announce that due to overwhelming interest, the Institute will now be accepting students over the age of 20! Still accepting applications!
The Summer Chamber Music Institute will be divided into two segments/weeks:
Week 2: Engaging and Serving the External Community
The Decoda | Skidmore Chamber Music Institute enables young musicians to explore leadership and community service through the intensive study of chamber music. Under the guidance of Decoda artists, students will learn how to fully engage their audiences and communities through scripted interactive chamber music performances while improving their own performance and public speaking skills.
Decoda is a cutting-edge chamber music society forging an integrated role for classical music in communities around the world. Based in New York City, Decoda maintains a flexible roster of a new type of musician: virtuoso, arts advocate and educator. They design residencies to reach audiences of broad scope, bringing creative concert experiences to schools, hospitals, shelters, correctional facilities, and bars, as well as major international concert halls. Decoda was founded in 2011 by alumni of The Academy - a program of Carnegie Hall, The Juilliard School, and the Weill Music Institute in partnership with the New York City Department of Education. Upon leaving this prestigious fellowship, the musicians were inspired not only to keep playing together but also to create an entrepreneurial model for artists who want to meaningfully engage with society.
Expected Student Outcomes
- Improved musicianship - technical and artistic
- Improved ability to navigate group dynamics in a collaborative environment
- Improved musical analysis - understanding fundamentally what makes a particular piece of music "work"
- Deep knowledge of at least two pieces of musical repertoire
- Performance experiences in both traditional concert hall and in community settings
- Improved public speaking ability
- Improved ability to design interactive activities which help engage an audience
- Each student will leave with a polished interactive performance script that has the potential to be reused and further developed