Visiting Assistant Professor in Education Studies and Director of Student Teaching
Office: Palamountain Hall, 218
Telephone: (518) 580-5472
Click here for Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D. Curriculum, Instruction, and Teacher Education. Michigan State University
- M.A. Curriculum and Teaching. Columbia University Teachers College
- B.A. Political and Social Thought. University of Virginia
COURSES TAUGHT AT SKIDMORE
- Introduction to Teaching
- Elementary Education Student Teaching Seminar
- Practicum in Integrated Curriculum and Instruction
- Supervision of Student Teaching
- Literacy theory and pedagogies
- Teachers’ writing practices
- Intersection between identities and literacies
- Teacher preparation and development
- Dawson, C. (forthcoming). Inventing teacher-writers: Creating writing practices through online teacher writing
groups. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Dawson, C. (forthcoming). Composing poetry and a writer’s identity: Positive social
updrafts in a community of writers. In Smagorinsky, P. (Ed.) Creativity and community
among autism-spectrum youth: Creating positive social updrafts through play and performance. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Dawson, C. (2013). Writing in the English language arts. In A. Applebee, J. Langer,
K. C. Wilcox, M. Nachowitz, M. Mastroianni, & C. Dawson. Writing instruction that works: Proven methods for middle and high school classrooms. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Applebee, A., Langer, J., with Wilcox, K.C., Nachowitz, M., Mastroianni, M., & Dawson,
C. (2013). Writing instruction that works: Proven methods for middle and high school classrooms. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Dawson, C., Hanson, K., Ponzio, C., Robinson, E., & VanRiper, J. (2013). “Trying
to find “the funny”: A teacher writing group’s inquiry into humor writing. (Research
for the classroom column). English Journal 102(6).
- Dawson, C., Robinson, E., Hanson, K., VanRiper, J., & Ponzio, C. (2013). Creating
a breathing space: An online teachers’ writing group. English Journal 102(3).
- Whitney, A. E. , Anderson, K., Dawson, C., Kang, S., Olan, E., Olcese, N., & Ridgeman,
M. (2012). Audience and authority in the professional writing of teacher-authors.
Research in the Teaching of English 46(4), 390-419.
- Dawson, C. (2009). Beyond checklists and rubrics: Engaging students in authentic conversations about their writing. English Journal 98(5), 66-71.