Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I report an emergency?
A: To report an emergency call Campus Safety at 580-5566. You can also report an emergency by using a “blue light” emergency phone, or any elevator emergency phone. You can also contact the police by dialing 911.
Q: What should I do if I see suspicious activities or behaviors?
A: Please be alert and report any criminal incident, suspicious behavior, or improper security activity to Campus Safety at 580-5567.
Q: What can I do to prepare for an emergency or disaster?
A: The safety of our students, faculty, staff, and visitors is the College’s number one priority. However, we each must be prepared and take responsibility for our safety. Here are some things you can do to be prepared in the event of an emergency on campus:
- Create a personal emergency plan that includes a method for making contact with family and friends in the event of an emergency.
- Periodically review the Emergency Procedures.
- Know the following:
- The Skidmore Urgent Notification System.
- Building evacuation routes, exit points, and where to report for roll call after evacuating.
- When and how to shelter in place in the building.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Identify exits, life safety equipment, and evacuation assembly points.
- Report suspicious activity, packages, or conditions to Campus Safety at 580-5812.
- Have a plan of action in mind during emergencies
Q: What should I do in the event of an emergency?
A. You should:
- Remain calm, be patient, use common sense, think before you act, and give assistance as needed.
- Follow directions and advice provided by SUNS Alerts, Campus Safety personnel and local, state or federal emergency officials.
- Closely monitor any additional SUNS Alerts and the College’s homepage for updates and instructions.
Q: How will I know when to “evacuate” my building?
A: You must evacuate your building if the building fire alarm is activated or directed to do so by Campus Safety or other College official. You should immediately proceed to the closest Evacuation Assembly Point.
Q: Where should I go when told to go to an Evacuation Assembly Point?
A. There are a number of Evacuation Assembly Points on campus - please familiarize yourself with the locations outlined on the Emergency Procedures Poster.
Q. I have an emergency plan question specific to my building/department – who is my building or department Safety Coordinator?
A. Volunteer Safety Coordinators are assigned to each building, floor or department based on its size. Emergency planning questions specific to your building/department should be directed to your Safety Coordinator. A list of Safety Coordinators can be found here (link).
Q: When are the Outdoor Siren/PA System and SUNS tested?
A: The College’s Outdoor Siren/PA System and SUNS are periodically during the course of the year, typically unannounced.
Q: Will classes be canceled in anticipation of an emergency?
A: While weather related events, such as winter weather may cause a class cancellation, it is highly unusual for classes to be canceled. The campus will continue to operate as usual unless specific, credible information is obtained indicating an increased risk to the Skidmore community. Information will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by College officials and the relevant local, state and federal agencies to determine the most appropriate course of action.
Students, faculty, and staff should go about their normal activities unless directed otherwise.
You should always check the Skidmore College homepage for the latest information. Emails and the SUN System will be used to announce closings.