Death or Suicide
Death notifications to survivors should normally be made, in person, by a College official. Generally, notifications regarding deaths that are the result of an accident or criminal action will be made by the police. They may request assistance in locating survivors who are connected to the College.
Support for survivors and other affected parties can come from the Chaplain's Office, Counseling Center, alumni, and other departments on campus.
All inquiries from media sources shall be directed to the Director of College Relations.
Notification to the College community should be made through the President's office.
- Secure the scene—primary and secondary.
- Isolate any witnesses or subjects with any knowledge for the police.
- Verify the identity of the deceased.
- Protect evidence-weapons, notes, drugs.
- Evacuate adjacent students and make no comments regarding incident.
- EMT shall delegate appropriate staff to debrief Residential Life staff regarding incident:
- Alert them to watch for other students exhibiting suicidal gestures.
- Control rumors.
- Contact Counseling Center, Health Services, Chaplain(s).
- Activate the EOC and provide resources for responding police investigators.
- Special attention should be given to roommates, friends, people who saw the body.
- Delegate a contact person for the deceased person's family (and roommates).
- Make arrangements for family and consider assuming some costs.
- Ensure that notification of next of kin is not premature (by roommates, etc).
- Make arrangements for notification of next of kin in person (by College Officials
- Try to have two representatives to make notification.
- Arrange to have support personnel available.
- Have prepared statement for media.
- Prepare statement for campus community.
- Prepare for memorial service, send letters and flowers. and have representative at funeral.
- Review victim's financial record and consider elimination of any outstanding debt.
- Prepare a schedule to re-contact the family of the deceased periodically for a set time frame.