- Know the location of fire exits and alarm systems in your area and know how to use them.
- If you discover a minor fire, immediately contact the Department of Campus Safety at 580-5566.
- Activate the building alarm (fire alarm) on your way out of the building.
- If you are in a room when the alarm sounds, cease all operations and prepare to vacate the area:
- FEEL THE DOOR FOR HEAT.
- If the door is not hot, evacuate
- If the door is hot, DO NOT OPEN IT. Go to a phone or window and contact someone for help. Place wet towels under the door and stay low where the air is better.
- Close all doors to confine the fire and reduce oxygen available to it. Do not lock doors.
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded, assume an emergency exists. Walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
- Proceed quickly to the predetermined Evacuation Assembly Point.
- Assist people with disabilities in exiting the building!
- Do not use the elevators during a fire.
- Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire, so stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building to the designated assembly area. Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- A temporary command post may be set up near the emergency site. Keep clear of the Command Post unless you have official business.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a College official.
Note: If you become trapped in a building during a fire and a window is available, place
an article of clothing (shirt, coat, etc.) outside the window, as a marker for rescue
crews. If there is no window, stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic.
Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency crews of your location.
Do not jump. Response time by the Saratoga Springs Fire Department is excellent. If necessary, stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic, wet towels and place them under doorways.