Preparedness | Responses | Recovery
- If serious injury or illness occurs on campus, immediately dial Campus Safety at X5566. Give your name, and describe the nature and severity of the medical problem and the campus location of the victim.
- Have someone remain on the phone with Campus Safety to provide updated information regarding the incident
- In case of minor injury or illness, provide first aid care to the level of your ability.
- Be prepared to provide specific locations to the scene. Request available assistance from other persons present to assist the responding EMS personnel in getting to the location as quickly as possible.
- In case of serious injury or illness quickly perform the following steps:
- Keep the victim still and comfortable. Do not move the victim.
- Ask victim, "Are you OK?" and "What is wrong?"
- Check breathing and give artificial respiration if necessary.*
- Control serious bleeding by applying direct pressure on the wound.*
- Continue to assist the victim until help arrives.
- Look for emergency medical IDs such as bracelets on injured persons, question witness(s), and give all information to the responding emergency personnel
*Note: Only qualified trained personnel should provide first aid treatment, artificial respiration or CPR, and/or utilize an AED.