A psychological crisis exists when an individual is threatening harm to himself/herself
or to harm others, or is out of touch with reality due to severe drug reactions or
psychological problems. Psychological problems may be manifested by hallucinations
or uncontrollable behavior, or the person could be a walk-away from a nursing home
If a psychological crisis occurs:
- Never try to handle on your own a situation you feel is dangerous.
- Notify the Department of Campus Safety of the situation at X5566. Clearly state that you need immediate assistance, and give your name, your location, and the area of campus involved.
- Understand that it is important to deal with the actions of the person involved regardless of the underlying cause.
- The Counseling Center can be reached during normal business hours at extension X5555. Campus Safety has a list of counselors who are on call during off hours.
- The Counseling Center and Saratoga County Mental Health have mental health professionals on call 24 hours a day.
Police are able to remove someone to the Emergency Room against their will when they
have probable cause that the person is a danger to himself/herself or others.
See the following section on Suicide Prevention.