Nurcan Atalan Helicke
Assistant Professor Environmental Studies Program
Office: Harder 193
Phone: x8372 (off campus: 518-580-8372)
- Ph.D. Ohio State University, Geography
- M. A., Bilkent University, International Relations
- B. A., Middle East Technical University, International Relations
COURSES TAUGHT AT SKIDMORE
- ES100 Environmental Concerns in Perspective
- ES252 Political Ecology (service learning course)
- ES352 The Politics of Food
- ES352 Global Environmental Governance
- ES352 Environment and Development in the Middle East (a NW course)
- Conservation of agricultural biodiversity
- Pedagogies and sustainability
- Food movements
- Marten, G. and N. Atalan-Helicke. 2015. “Introduction to the Symposium American Food Resilience” Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences 5 (3): 308-320
- Atalan-Helicke, N. “Seed Exchange Networks and Food System Resilience in the United States” Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. (Accepted)
- Atalan-Helicke, N. "The Halal Paradox: Negotiating identity, religious values and genetically-engineered food in Turkey" Agriculture and Human Values. DOI 10.1007/s10460-015-9585-z (Published online: January 2015)
- Atalan-Helicke, N. 2014. "Learning and Promoting Urban Sustainability: Environmental Service Learning in an Undergraduate Environmental Studies Curriculum Environmental Studies and Sciences" Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. 4 (4): 294-300
- Atalan-Helicke, N. and B. Mansfield 2012.“Seed Governance at the Intersection of Multiple Global and Nation-State Priorities: Modernizing Seeds in Turkey” Global Environmental Politics. 12 (4): 125–146.
- Eroglu, D. and N. Atalan-Helicke “An Alternative Eco-Friendly Agriculture: Snail Harvesting in Turkey and Extension Needs of Gatherer Families” ICSER-International Conference on Social Sciences and Education Research, October 29-31, 2015, Antalya, Turkey.
- N. Atalan Helicke, J. Chang*, A. Durland, J. Inaba*, T. Johnson* "Service Learning as a Creative Pedagogy: Political Ecology and Urban Forests", poster presented at the Urban Forests and Political Ecology: Celebrating Transdisciplinary international conference. Toronto, Canada. April 18-20, 2013.
* denotes student authors