Office: Palamountain 320
Phone: (518) 580-5173
- A.B., Columbia University
- M.A. and Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Training and Research Interests:
- Nature writing and environmental literature
- Rhetoric and composition
- Writing and technology
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- SSP 100: Human Dilemmas
- SSP 100: Can Literature Save the Environment?
- EN 103: Writing Seminar I
- EN 105: Writing Technology
- EN 105: News Literacy
- EN 201: Evolving Canon I
- EN 205: Writing Hypertext
- EN 213: Poetry
- EN 229: Literature and the Environment
- EN 375: Ecocriticism
- Cultural Diversity in the Teaching of Environmental Studies, Lunch Roundtable (co-convener). Association of Environmental Studies and Sciences 2012 conference. Santa Clara, CA.
- Bringing Diversity to Environmental Studies Programs (session organizer). Association of Environmental Studies and Sciences 2012 conference. Santa Clara, CA.
- The Pedagogy of Place: Literature for the North Woods. In the Session “The Pedagogy of Place: Seeing the Forest for More than the Trees.” Association of Environmental Studies and Sciences 2011 conference. Burlington, VT.
- AAC&U Institute on High-Impact Practices and Student Success. Burlington, VT
- Skidmore Team member. June 2011.
- Georgetown University Teagle Foundation "Fresh Thinking" Grant Working Group. "Defining Social Pedagogies and Their Relevance to Liberal Education." 2007-2009.
- New York Council for the Humanities "Reading Between the Lines:Into the American Wilderness." Scholar-Facilitator. Crandall Public Library, Glens Fall, NY. Spring 2008.
- Carnegie Scholar. Carnegie Academy for the Advancement of the Scholarship for Teaching and Learning, 2003-2004.
- "Disciplining the Minds of Students: The Study of English." Change The Magazine of Higher Learning. March/April 2005. 40-42. [One of three profiles of academic disciplines including Psychology (by Daniel Bernstein) and Biology (by Harvey Bender). 36-43.]
- "Bringing Tutorials to a Close: Counseling's Termination Process and The Writing Tutorial." The Writing Center Journal (Spring 1991).
- "Distant Writers, Distant Critics, and Close Readings: Linking Composition Classes Through A Peer Critiquing Network." Computers and Composition (November 1990).