Internships, Jobs, and Fellowships
Funding Opportunities for summer internships | Local Internships | Jobs | Fellowships
We maintain an ES Internship blog that lists internships, jobs, and research opportunities around the country. You
can sort through the listings by clicking on any of the tags listed along the right
side of the blog page, to narrow down your search for particular areas of interest.
Internships provide an excellent opportunity for students to apply their school learning to real-world experiences. We encourage our students to have an internship at some point during their Skidmore career. Students can earn credit for internships, as described below. For unpaid summer internships, Skidmore provides several competitive funding opportunities.
Internships for credit
Students who wish to earn credit for their internships can do so through the Office of Academic Advising. Credit-bearing internships require both an on-site supervisor, who monitors the practice of the internship, and a faculty sponsor, who adds an academic component to the internship. Internships taken for academic credit require a strong academic center. The amount of academic work assigned by the faculty sponsor should be commensurate with the number of credit hours earned during their internship.
Funding opportunities for summer internships
Several Skidmore offices, groups, departments, and programs provide competitive summer funding, including the following:
- The ESS Program generally offers 1-4 awards for students who are engaged in summer work related to environmental issues.
- Skidmore’s Office of Academic Advising offers SEE-Beyond Awards, which supports field or lab research, internships, workshops, and apprenticeships – any experience that puts classroom learning into practice or that deepens a student’s understanding or knowledge of the discipline.
- The Skidmore Student Government Association (SGA) offers the Responsible Citizenship Internship Award. This provides financial support to students undertaking unpaid summer internships that will expand their send of community, involvement, service, awareness, and civic engagement.
- The Skidmore Summer Funded Internship Awards Program (SSFIAP) provides students with an opportunity to participate in unpaid internships, volunteer, or community service projects during the summer through the generosity of various donors of the Skidmore Community.
Back to Top
Below are local groups where recent ES students have had credit-bearing internships. You should contact the organization to see if they are currently accepting interns. Next to each organization is a list of matching topics of interest for students.
- American Farmland Trust: New York Office (environmental policy, sustainable development)
- Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (green building)
- Environmental Advocates of New York (environmental policy, sustainable development, air and water quality)
- Hudson Crossing Park (environmental education)
- 9 Miles East Farm (sustainable agriculture)
- Saratoga County Soil and Water Office (natural resources, land use, watershed policy and planning)
- Saratoga PLAN (natural resources, land use, watershed policy and planning)
- Sierra Club: Northeast Field Office
- State Assembly: Intern Committee (environmental policy, sustainable development)
- Sustainable Saratoga (sustainable development)
- The Nature Conservancy: New York State Office (conservation)
- Radix Ecological Sustainability Center (sustainable development, urban agriculture)
- Wilton Wildlife Park and Preserve (conservation, land use)
Back to Top
- American Public Health Association
- Assorted Job/Volunteer Links
- Association for Experiential Education
- CoolWorks: Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs
- The Corps Network
- Cyber-Sierra's Natural Resources Job Search
- Department of the Interior Agency Search
- EcoEmploy: Environmental Jobs and Careers
- Ecological Society of America
- Environmental Consulting Career Advice
- EPA Careers
- EPA Student Employment Opportunities
- Fish & Wildlife Services Student Job Opportunities
- GreenBiz: Green Jobs
- Green Jobs
- Idealist: Nonprofit Jobs
- Just Means
- Land Trust Alliance Jobs
- Maine Land Trust Network Jobs
- National and State Park Jobs
- National Park Service Job Information
- Orion Grassroots Network JobSource
- The Riley Guide: Search for Environmental Jobs
- Saratoga Technology and Energy Park Jobs
- Spotlight on Careers: Environment
- The Student Conservation Association
- Sustainability Career/Job Resources List
- Sustainable Business: Green Dream Jobs
- Sustain Lane: Green Collar Jobs
- U.S. PIRG (Public Interest Research Groups) Jobs
Back to Top
Back to Top