Honors Forum
 

HFC-Minutes  -- Wednesday, October 14, 1998

Present: 

Michael Arnush, Sue Bender, Phil Boshoff, Steve Hoffman, Allison Kupfer, Emily Levy, Chris McGrath, Jon Ramsey, Amelia Rauser, Anita Steigerwald.


The Meeting began at 9:00 am, President's Conference Room

The Council approved the previous minutes.

  1. Michael submitted funding request forms to be used for requesting funds for HF related activities.  These should be available online at hfc/funding.html. Sue agreed to prepare a narrative of guidelines to accompany this page.

  2. Free standing 1-credit courses. Our original proposal, which was approved by Curriculum Committee last year, was for 1-credit add-ons; although it included the free-standing option we deferred implementation until 1999/2000. Our plan this year is to bring three generic proposals to Curriculum Committee if HFC agrees - (100, 200 and 300 level) 1 credit courses. [As it turns out, since CC had already approved these proposals Michael will ask to meet with CC to request guidelines for 1-cr. free-standing courses.]

  3. Reports on recent meetings

    • HF assessment. Meeting with Michael Arnush, Fran Hoffman, Ann Henderson, Tabitha Orthwein, Joe Stankovich, Amelia Clarke. Fran Hoffman has been helping us to structure data for assessment of the Honors Forum. We also discussed the admission process with Tabitha for Class of 2003. It is our plan to start the reading process early December, focusing again on all the 9's and 10's. Tabitha should let us know shortly whether the student members of the Council may participate in reading the files.

    • Math/Science Merit Scholars; meeting attended by Michael. Michael provided the Merit Scholars Committee with information about the recent progress of the HF.

  4. Reports on recent events:

    • Iris Chang, "The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II" held a discussion session with Honors Forum students.  Michael, Amelia and Steve reported that her question and answer section with the forum was very successful; Steve noted that we faculty should try to limit our questions in order to provide students the opportunity to participate fully and that in the future we should have a faculty moderator to help faciltate discussion among students and the speaker.

    • Career Planning (hosted by an HF student - Roz Rolls - with 4 in attendance)

    • Prospective Candidates (Anita and Phil); request that HF be more fully involved in future programs

    • Committee Chairs (to meet with Michael for dinner next Tuesday, 10/20); Logo Submissions

  5. Form and flyers: announcement re: Spring '99 courses circulated by Jon; Jon also to circulate an "advisor's folder" form

    • Other forms to be prepared by spring semester:

    • overseas study

    • self-assessment

    • declaration of HF capstone project

The meeting adjourned at 10:00 am. Next meeting scheduled for Wednesday, October 28, 9 am, PCR.
  

A A A