All proposals (protocols) are to be submitted electronically. Researchers are asked to complete an electronic submission form and attach their research proposal (prepared using Skidmore College's Research Proposal Template). Other supporting documents should be attached to an e-mail and sent to email@example.com including the informed Consent Form (prepared using the Skidmore College Informed Consent Form Template), copies of all questionnaires and data collection instruments, and any other supporting documentation.
Overview of Proposal Submission Process
- Researcher prepares proposal (using Skidmore College Research Proposal Template) and
attaches it to the electronic submission form.
- Researcher submits Electronic Submission form, and attaches the proposal and all supporting
documents. Required supporting documents include:
- the consent form,
- all questionnaires and measures that participants will receive, including the specific questions and treatments, and
- the debriefing.
- Researcher emails all supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRB Coordinator notifies researcher (via email) that materials have been received,
and provides researcher the proposal number associated with that proposal. This number
is to be used in all correspondence related to the proposal.
- Proposal and all documents go to the IRB Chair who decides on the type of review required,
unless the proposal originates in the Department of Psychology. The Department of
Psychology has its own review board and psychology proposals go directly to the chair
of this departmental review board first. The chair of the departmental review board
decides if the proposal is exempt; if it is not, then the researcher is asked to submit
to the IRB, beginning with step 1.
- Researcher may be asked for more information throughout the process or to revise the
- The IRB seeks to be as timely and responsive to review requests as possible. The IRB needs at least two weeks to review a proposal. See the IRB Meeting Schedule and Proposal Deadlines page.