IT Email Policies and Best Practices
- Withdrawals: Your account will be closed 30 days from the time that your account is marked as withdrawn.
- Email accounts are maintained for as long as Microsoft continues to provide our mail service. Your login and primary address will change to email@example.com but your previous address, firstname.lastname@example.org will also continue to deliver email to your Inbox.
- All mail will be transferred to the alumni server on outlook.com sometime after graduation.
- Faculty and Other Employees
- Based on information provided by human resources, an automatic occurs and your Skidmore account is closed 30 days later.
- If you are an official retiree of the college, you may keep your email account into retirement Retirees should log in with email@example.com
Automatic Emptying of Deleted Items
- Students: After an item has been in your Deleted Items folder for 14 days, the Exchange email server will remove them.
- Employees: After an item has been in your Deleted Items folder for 30 days, the Exchange email server will remove them.
Best Practices for email
- Forwarding Skidmore email to another account
- Never forward any confidential or protected information to a personal email account. Most personal email accounts do not have the privacy and security necessary to handle confidential Skidmore information.
- Never use your Skidmore email account to setup a third party account (such as Amazon,
- Never use your Skidmore email address and password to setup an external, third-party account. If your account gets compromised on these sites, you are putting all of your Skidmore account information at risk. Always use a third party email account (gmail, yahoo, roadrunner, Comcast, etc.) to create third-party accounts.