The Kenneth A. Freirich Business Plan Competition - Information for Competitors
- Wednesday, October 9, 7pm: Informational meeting, Davis Auditorium, Palamountain
- Friday, October 25: Deadline for filing "Intent to Compete"
- Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 5:00 pm: Business plans due
- February 7, 2014: Presentation of business plans and announcement of finalists, Location: Tang Museum, 5:00 pm
- April 11, 2014: Finalists' presentations and awards ceremony, Location: Tang Museum, 2:00 pm
The business plan competition is open to all currently enrolled Skidmore students, regardless of their year or major. Students may submit individual plans or work in a team.
All business plans should be submitted on a single, printable PDF document. They should be no more than 10 pages, plus up to 5 pages for financials and appendices. Plans should include financial data including a monthly income statement, balance sheet, and projected cash-flow statement for at least two years.
Each business plan should include:
- Executive Summary
- Company Overview
- Products or Services
- Market Overview/Competition
- Sales and Marketing Strategy
- Operations Overview with Milestones
- Management Team
- Summary - Financials
- Use of Proceeds
- Potential Exit Strategies
Creating a Business Plan (PDF)
Creating a Business Plan (PPT)
Questions and submissions should be directed to Professor Paula Tancredi Penman.
Please note: The cash awards in these competitions are not wages from the College and there will be no withholdings for any required tax payments. Students receiving awards will receive an IRS Form 1099 early in the following calendar year for the payments indicating the amount of the payment. A copy of the IRS Form 1099 is sent to the IRS. Please plan for a tax liability accordingly. If you receive financial aid, please be aware also that there may be implications for the need-based portion of your award in a subsequent year.