Eligibility & Requirements
Entrants must be Skidmore College students who participated in an off-campus study
program anytime during the 2014-15 academic year.
Photos must be the original work (no professional photos will be accepted) and have been taken by the entrant during the entrant’s off-campus study program or by another participant on the entrant’s program (only if the entrant is the subject of the photo).
A maximum of five (5) photos may be submitted by each entrant.
Photos may be color or black and white and must be submitted in digital format.
- Digital images must be emailed to email@example.com.
- Photos must be digital, must be print quality, and must be in .jpg or .tif format.
- Hardcopy images will not be accepted.
- Each image should be saved as a separate file and the file name must include the entrant’s
name, the location of the photo (city and country), and the semester/year off-campus.
If submitting multiple photos from the same location, please number the photos in
the file name.
For example: Eliza Camire – Beijing, China fall 2014.jpg
A completed entry form must be emailed with the digital images. The image file must be titled to correspond with the title on the entry form. Entry forms can also be submitted to OCSE in hard copy but all images must be submitted electronically.
Entry form (doc)
Entry form (pdf)
Deadline: October 12, 2015
All photos accompanied by an entry form must be received no later than 4:30 pm, October 12, 2015. (Please allow plenty of time when submitting entries by email as emails with attachments can take more time to send and receive. Late entries will not be accepted.)
- The first place winner of each category will be awarded a $100 prize and the photo selected for the Best of Show will be awarded a $200 prize.
- Awards will be distributed to students’ Skidmore ID declining balance account that can be used on and off campus. See http://www.skidmore.edu/card/ for on- and off-campus merchants.*
- Selected photos will be displayed in a virtual gallery on the Off-Campus Study & Exchanges website. A limited number of photos will be printed and displayed in the OCSE office.
- Winning photos may be reproduced in OCSE marketing, publications, or the website.
- Winning photos will be displayed during International Education Week in November and
at the Annual Lively Lucy Goes Global event in January.
- Entries will be judged by representatives of the Office of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges.
- Selection criteria include:
- Representation of the study abroad experience
- Sensitivity toward the host culture
- Technical Merit (clarity, focus, lighting, etc.)
Photos featuring yourself and/or other students abroad are strongly encouraged. Other
topics may include local people, culture specific activities, traditions, landmarks,
cityscapes, landscapes etc.
All photo entries (winners and non-winners) will become property of the Office of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges and can be used for Skidmore marketing and publications at any time.
*Students that are awarded prize money or prizes which have a monetary value must be advised that they will be required to complete a W9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number), which will be submitted to Skidmore College’s Accounts Payable Office.
While students will have to provide the information requested by completing the form, this does not necessarily mean they will have any tax liability from receiving the award. A Form 1099 (Miscellaneous Income) will not be issued unless a student receives more than $600 in prizes from Skidmore College in a calendar year.