International Exchange Students
Acceptance Materials and Arrival Information
Off-Campus Study & Exchanges (OCSE) at Skidmore College provides incoming international exchange students with information about our campus and its services. These students most typically come on a U.S. J-1 visa. OCSE assists with matters regarding immigration, health care and insurance, academics, banking, communications, campus housing, and a number of other areas related to life and study at Skidmore.
NOTE: While OCSE supports non-faculty exchange visitors coming to Skidmore, it is the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) that works with faculty visitors. If you are an international visitor coming to join the faculty at Skidmore, please contact VPAA.
Exchange visitors who are already accepted to come to Skidmore must complete several forms before arriving on campus. Please use the following checklist to assist you in this process. (Additional forms may be sent to you in hard-copy as well.)
Download each form below to complete it, and return it to Kendra Nelson in Off-Campus Study & Exchanges (OCSE) by e-mail scan to firstname.lastname@example.org; fax +1.518.580.5359; or by post to Off-Campus Study & Exchanges, Skidmore College, 815 N. Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866, USA.
REQUIRED FORMS & INFORMATIONHave you submitted your signed contract to OCSE? If not, please do so immediately. We cannot continue your enrollment process until we receive the signed copy of this contract. Your contact was sent to you personally from OCSE.
Return each of the following items to OCSE by the indicateddeadline.
- Course Preference Form: Select courses for the upcoming semester on the attached form. The schedule for the
fall 2015 semester is not yet available. OCSE will contact you by email as soon as
the schedule of classes is posted. (by March 30)
- Transcript. If you have not already done so, please send your official transcript (academic course
history) to OCSE. This will allow Skidmore to verify any course pre-requisites. (by March 30)
- Create your Skidmore user account. After you receive your Skidmore ID number, you should set up an account for the College's computer network. Your account will include a Skidmore e-mail address, as well as access to a variety of other online resources. *All official communications from the College, including OCSE, will be sent to your Skidmore account. (by May 1)
- Visit the Web site for the Skidmore College Department of Information Technology to access instructions on creating a non-faculty employee email account.
- Once your Skidmore e-mail account is set up, please send a test message from your account to the Kendra Nelson at email@example.com.
NOTE: You will only be able to create a Skidmore account after you submit your New Employee Information form
- Skidmore College health forms. Every person intending to enroll in coursework at Skidmore College is required
to submit certain medical documentation to the Office of Health Services. Health Services will update their forms required
for the 2014-15 academic year in late spring.Be sure to read the instructions provided
for you by the Office of Health Services to help you better understand the content
of the health forms, and use their checklist to ensure you do not forget anything. Some
forms can be submitted online using the Skidmore Student Health Portal, which you
can access after you have created a Skidmore email. All downloadable forms and the
Skidmore Student Health Portal login will be available here. (by July 15)
- Submit Travel Information: Once you have made travel arrangements to come to Skidmore College for the start of the academic year, please submit a copy of your full travel itinerary to OCSE. (Skidmore may be able to arrange for airport pick-up only if we receive this information by the deadline. Students may also arrive independently to the campus.) (by July 15)
Additional Arrival Information
- Arrival Day: Sunday, August 28, 2015. Please plan to arrive at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY on August 28th.
The closest airport to Saratoga Springs is Albany, NY. If you arrive at a New York
City airport, you will have to take a bus or train from New York City to Albany or
Saratoga Springs (approximately a 3-4 hour journey, not including transfer time).
Students arriving on August 28th at the Albany International Airport (ALB) or an area bus/train station (Albany-Rensselaer or Saratoga Springs) can be personally greeted and picked up by an International Pre-Orientation Mentors. This pick-up service is only available if you arrive on August 28th and have submitted your travel details prior to arrival.
- International Pre-Orientation: All exchange students will be required to participate in the international student
pre-orientation program, designed specifically for new international and exchange
students, and an orientation with Off-Campus Study & Exchanges upon arrival at Skidmore.
The schedule will be posted as soon as it is available. Please contact OCSE with any
- Housing: OCSE will make housing arrangements for you to live on campus with other Skidmore
students in either on-campus apartments or residence halls. For more information about
living on campus (including a suggested packing list), visit the website of the Office of Residential Life.
- Pre-Orientation Program (POP) application (optional): The POP programs are designed to offer new students the opportunity to meet other new students and returning student advisors. These programs are designed for first-year students, but exchanges students are also eligible to participate. The programs take place between the international student pre-orientation and the start of classes. Some POP programs are held on the Skidmore campus while others are outdoor adventure programs held nearby Skidmore in the Adirondack Mountains. Students electing to participate in any POP will be required to submit the appropriate payment with his/her application. As the POP is optional, the fees to participate are not covered by the exchange. Early applications are recommended! (You may register starting June 2nd)
All forms should be returned by the indicated deadline to Kendra Nelson in Off-Campus Study & Exchanges (OCSE) at Skidmore College, 815 North Broadway, Saratoga Springs, New York, 12866 U.S.A. Fax +1.518.580.5359. You can also send forms by email attachment. Contact OCSE with any questions!