London First-Year Experience Director
Each fall, two Skidmore faculty members, chosen from various disciplines, accompany thirty-six students to London and serve as on-site directors of the London First-Year Experience. Each director teaches one Scribner Seminar developed around the his or her expertise, using London as a classroom. Directors are also responsible for advising and mentoring students while they are inLondon and during the spring semester when students return to campus. Finally, faculty directors take on a limited number of administrative tasks, including organizing a variety of cultural activities and excursions for the students. This program in London is delivered in conjunction with IES Abroad, an organization with which we have partnered for almost twenty-five years. The IES partnership in London allows IES to deliver the remaining courses and manage the majority of the administrative duties, thereby allowing the faculty to focus their attention more directly on the academic and personal needs of the students.
Past and planned Scribner Seminars in London include:
- Reading British Identity in London’s Museums (Sue Bender – Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work)
- Media and British National Identity (Joanne Devine – English)
- Liquid History: The River Thames (Tom Lewis – English)
- Music Between Us (Gordon Thompson – Music)
- Laughter, Humor, and Comedy (Kate Greenspan – English)
- Where are we? Greenwich (Mark Hofmann – Mathematics and Computer Science)
- Contemporary British Politics (Bob Turner – Government)
- Paint, Potential, and Power (Paul Sattler – Art History)
- The Empire Strikes Back: Imperial Ambitions of Greece, Rome, Britain, and the US (Michael Arnush - Classics)
- Den of Antiquities: The Illicit Market in Ancient Art (Leslie Mechem - Classics and Women's Studies)
OCSE will announce London FYE openings as they arise. For information about the program and director's responsibilities, or for any questions about the application guidelines, please see the links to the right, or feel free to write to me.
We look forward to many exciting years to come with this program. It is truly a unique and exciting initiative!
Director of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges