ARTS AND LITERATURE
- Enrico Caruso makes his debut with the Metropolitan Opera Company in "Rigoletto."
- Victor Herbert's operetta "Babes in Toyland" premieres.
- The Edison Corporation releases the seminal Western "The Great Train Robbery."
- Pablo Picasso nears end of his blue period in Barcelona, and is about to move to Paris.
- George Walker and Egbert Austin Williams, a vaudeville comedy team, open on Broadway in "Dahomey," the first all-Black musical on a major New York stage. They later participate in a royal command performance at Buckingham Palace for the Prince of Wales.
- French composer Maurice Ravel writes his song cycle "Sheherazade."
- William Edward Burghardt Du Bois publishes "Souls of Black Folk," a collection of essays.
- Henry James writes "The Ambassadors."
- George Bernard Shaw writes "Man and Superman."
- Helen Keller publishes "The Story of My Life."
- Jack London publishes "The Call of the Wild."