- From the tatters of the original Baltimore Orioles, a new baseball team is formed. Called the "Highlanders" for its hilltop park on 168th Street in the Bronx, the team would be rechristened the New York Yankees in 1913. Babe Ruth joined in 1920, and Yankee Stadium opened in 1923.
- Maurice Garin wins the first Tour de France with an average speed of 25.679 km/h (In 1999, American Lance Armstrong won with an average speed of 40.276 km/h.)
- Boston defeats Pittsburgh in the first World Series.
- Judge Himes wins the Kentucky Derby
- Princeton is the NCAA football champion with an 11-0 record.