Faculty  Majors   Courses  Honors
Social Work Department

Applying to the Major:

The process for declaring a major in Social Work is different than the process for other majors. Students must apply for admission to the Social Work Major. Students generally apply to the major during the spring semester of the sophomore year although early applications are also accepted. Students complete the Social Work application, write a personal statement, and complete a declaration of major form. These documents are then submitted to Crystal Moore, Department Chair. The applications are due two weeks before the deadline for declaring your major. Once accepted into the major, Crystal signs the declaration form and it is sent to the registrar.

Below are some frequently asked questions about the application to the major.

Q: I’ve never heard of applying to a major at Skidmore. Why does Social Work have an application process?
A: Social Work is an accredited program of study. Our accrediting body, the Council on Social Work Education, mandates that Social Work programs have an application process. Our majors often work with people who may be vulnerable or oppressed, so we must ensure that Social Work majors have the personal qualities and professional potential to undertake such work.

Q: Can I declare the major and then complete my application?
A: No. Only students who have been formally accepted into the major can declare Social Work as their major.

Q: What is the acceptance rate to the major?
A: Almost all of the students who apply to the major are accepted. If there are students which the Social Work faculty assess as being inappropriate for the major at this point, the Department Chair or other faculty let the student know about the concerns before the student submits the application. In some cases, a student is conditionally accepted to the major. They must demonstrate professional readiness to be admitted to the major before they are formally accepted. The faculty work with such students to develop a specific plan to address any concerns.

Q: What does it mean to be “inappropriate for the major”?
A: The Social Work major has two sets of standards for our students: academic and professional. Academically, students must demonstrate mastery of course concepts and exhibit appropriate behavior in the classroom. Professionally, students must behave as a beginning professional, attending classes regularly, participating appropriately, behaving respectfully, and seeking help when help is needed for either academic or personal difficulties. Students who cannot meet both academic and professional standards are considered inappropriate for the major. See Standards for Social Work Education at Skidmore College for more details regarding these standards.