Thomas P. Oles
Associate Professor and Chair
Office: Tisch Learning Center 228
- M.S.W. Syracuse University, 1981 Family Mental Health
- B.A., Utica College, 1975 English
- Coming of Age in London (SS 100)
- Purple Nation: Welfare and Politics (SS 100)
- Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare (SW 222)
- Social Work with Children and Adolescents (SW 225)
- Social Work Practice with Groups, Organizations, and Communities (SW 334)
- Social Justice and Social Policy (SW 338)
- Institutions' Misplaced Fear of Fossil-Fuel Divestment, 2 Apr. 2015. Web.
- From Attitude Change to Effective Practice. RsearchGate. Feb. 2014. Web.
- Representing Race: Student Complaints at a Liberal Arts College. Forthcoming: International Journal of Diversity in Education.
- The Moment of Truth: Tax Reform, Social Justice, and Social Work. 2011. The New Social Worker, 18, No. 4, pages 16-20.
- Accounting for Divorce Gender and Uncoupling Narratives. 2011 (with Susan Walzer) reprinted in Shifting the Center: Understanding Contemporary Families. McGraw-Hill.
- Back to the Future: Three Generation Families in a Changing Economy. 2011. Clio's Psyche 17, 4, 324-327.
- Morning in America 2010 Social Work. 55, 4, 369-370.
- Why Restorative Justice is an Appropriate Model for College Judicial Programs an invited chapter in Restorative Justice on the College Campus: Promoting Student Growth and Responsibility, and Reawakening the Spirit of Campus Community, Karp and Allena, Eds. Springfield, Ill: CC Thomas, 2005.
- Accounting for divorce: gender and uncoupling narratives with Susan Walzer. (2003) Qualitative Sociology, 26:3. 331-349.
- Managing conflict after marriages end: A qualitative study of narratives of ex-spouses with Susan Walzer. (2003) Families in Society, 84:2, 192-200.
- Attitudes and behaviors of social work students toward lesbian and gay male clients: Can panel presentations make a difference? With Black, B., Cramer, E., and Bennett, C. (1999) Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services, 9:4 47-68.
- From attitude change to effective Practice: Exploring the relationship, with Cramer, E. and Black, B. (1999) Journal of Social Work Education, 35(1) 87-101.
- The relationship between attitudes: Sexism and homophobia among social work students, with Black, B. and Moore, L. (1998). Afflia, 11(2), 166-190.
- Reducing social work students' homophobia: An evaluation of teaching strategies, with Cramer, E. and Black, B. (1997). Arete, 21(2), 36-50.
- Homophobia among students in social work programs, with Black, B. and Moore, L. (1996). The Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work, 2(1), 23-42.
- Matching therapeutic style with developmental level: A guide for child care workers. (1991). Journal of Child and Youth Care, 6:3, 63-72.
- Residents perception of change: A basis for after care? (1991) Journal of Residential Treatment for Children and Youth, 9:1, 29-38.
- Complementing the therapist: Child care work with sexually abused youth. (1990). Journal of Child and Youth Care, 5:1, 43-50.
- Bringing the family "in": A family systems perspective on student adjustment to college with Laura Bronstein (1989). Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, 4:2, 35-44.
- Back to the Future: Teaching and Learning in Social Work Education with Peg Tacarden. 1990. New Horizons: Expanding Directions for Baccalaureate Social Work Education.
SELECTED EDITORIAL COMMENTARY
- Pay now or pay later, 11-04-11
- Fixing Social Security, 9-30-11
- Political Moderation and Fiscal Sustainability, 9-02-111
- Health care reform not quite a revolution. March 21, 2010. Saratogian
- Voters need to be engaged, not patronized. April 4, 2010 Albany Times Union.