Professor of Sociology
Office: 224 Tisch Learning Center
Telephone: (518) 580-5424
- PhD, Sociology, University at Albany, State University of New York, 1995
- MSW, Smith College School for Social Work, 1983
- AB, English, Brown University, 1980
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Close Relationships, Emotions, Families, Gender, Social Psychology, Social Research Design and Qualitative Methods, Student and Faculty Cultures
- Cycles of Marriage and Divorce (SSP100)
- Individual in Society (SO202)
- Families in the United States (SO217)
- Close Relationships (SO224H)
- Social Research Methods (SO227)
- Sociology of Emotions (SO304)
- Studying Student Worlds (SO332)
- Thinking about the Baby: Gender and Transitions into Parenthood. 1998. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
- Gender and the Culture of Heterosexual Marriage (coauthored with Karyn Loscocco). 2013. Journal of Family Theory & Review 5:1-14.
- Crossing Generational Divides: Experiences of New Faculty in Higher Education (coauthored with Cathy Trower). 2010. Metropolitan Universities 21:35-44.
- Redoing Gender through Divorce. 2008. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships 25:5-21.
- Children’s Stores of Divorce. 2006. In Couples, Kids, and Family Life, edited by Jaber Gubrium & James Holstein. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Encountering Oppositions: A Review of Scholarship about Motherhood. 2004. In Handbook of Contemporary Families: Considering the Past, Contemplating the Future, edited by Marilyn Coleman & Lawrence H. Ganong. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Accounting for Divorce: Gender and Uncoupling Narratives (coauthored with Thomas P. Oles). 2003. Qualitative Sociology 26:331-349.
- Managing Conflict after Marriages End: A Qualitative Study of Narratives of Ex-Spouses (coauthored with Thomas P. Oles). 2003. Families in Society 84:1-9.
- Developing Sociologists through Qualitative Study of College Life. 2001. Teaching Sociology 29:88-94.
SELECTED HONORS AND APPOINTMENTS
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard Graduate School of Education, August 2013-June 2014
- The Hoffman Lecture in Sociology and Social Policy, Russell Sage College, March 2010
- Radcliffe Fellow, Henry A. Murray Research Center, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Studies, Spring 2000
- Finalist, William J. Goode Book Award, American Sociological Association Family Section, 1999
- Paul Meadows Award for Excellence in Teaching, University at Albany, 1993