Open to students high school–age and older, the program is geared toward participants whose ability levels range from intermediate to professional. Enrollment is limited due to combo instrumentation. College credit is available to interested matriculated students. The Blue Note Label Group, perhaps the most historic and best-known jazz label, has established a scholarship program for deserving Jazz Institute students.
Application review begins March 1, 2013 (STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)
How to Apply
2013 application is now available
Please read this entire page for instructions on how to apply before continuing to the online application.
Jazz Institute applicants will be required to submit:
- completed online application form
- $40 application fee
- Audio recording (specifics follow below) Audio files are preferred; please submit video only if absolutely necessary.
- brief description of your musical background (jazz and non-jazz), indicating your preferred style(s) of jazz. PDF preferred.
- letter of recommendation from a current teacher (if you are a student). PDF preferred. You will have the option to upload a letter on the application, or you may e-mail or fax the letter to Wendy Kercull (518-580-5548) or email@example.com
Audio Recording: To allow us to group combos and arrange classes, an audio recording is required. Applicants may perform unaccompanied, or with prerecorded rhythm tracks as an accompaniment to the tunes. A live performance that clearly demonstrates your abilities is also acceptable. Recordings are not judged on the basis of their recorded quality. We realize that access to recording equipment will vary with each applicant, but we do ask that you try to produce the best recording possible.
A file containing 10 to 15 minutes of material must include the following: (Up to two files may be uploaded on the Application)
- two different styles of jazz performance: swing and ballad
(for each tune you should play the melody in its entirety, followed by an improvised chorus)
Bass Players only: (one file may be uploaded on the Application)
- In addition to the previously listed materials, please include a walking bass line over two choruses of blues changes, quarter note = 120. Bass players must perform on acoustic bass.
Drummers only:(one file may be uploaded on the Application)
In addition to the previously listed materials, your recording should include the
- medium swing (sticks), quarter note = 132
- up tempo swing (sticks), quarter note = 244
- up-tempo swing (brushes), quarter note = 244
- Latin (sticks), half note = 120
- ballad (sticks), quarter note = 60
- ballad (brushes), quarter note = 60
- rock or funk (sticks), quarter note = 92
All required supplemental material will be uploaded to your online application. Please make sure you have the attachments ready and in the correct format prior to starting the online application.
Please make sure the file name of your attachments must have your full name and item uploading, example: JohnSmithAudio.mp3
Uploads should be in the following format and be no larger than 100MB each.
Document: .DOC; .DOCX; .PDF; .TXT
Audio: .AIF; M4A; MID; MP3; MPA; WAV; WMA
Video: .AVI; MOV; MP4; MPG; WMV
In accordance with U.S. Federal regulations, all non-U.S. Citizens must have a student visa to study in the United States.You may not attend Skidmore on a tourist visa. If you are an international student applying to the summer program, please click here.