Surveys: SurveyMonkey and Qualtrics
PLEASE NOTE: We are in the process of moving our surveys from SurveyMonkey to a campus wide license for Qualtrics.
Our SurveyMonkey accounts will begin to expire on October 19,2014 and the process will continue through April 8, 2015. Please contact Academic Technologies if you have concerns regarding disruption in service. We will be creating all new surveys in Qualtrics beginning September 2014.
What you need to know about using Qualtrics:
Faculty, Staff, and Students have instant access to create surveys in Qualtrics as long as they are enrolled in courses or employed by the college. Here are a few important things you should know.
- Students have access to a number of features, once their survey is created. If you are a student and you need to create a survey as part of a class project, assignment, or for a student organization, you need to request that a faculty or staff member create the actual file for the survey. Once this has been done, they can choose to collaborate with you in order to get you the access you need to create and execute the survey. It is possible for a student to create a survey on their own, however, it gets more complicated that way. If a student creates a survey, they will need to have a faculty or staff member copy the survey to their own account and then set it up to collaborate with the student. So it is much less work for all if the student contacts a sponsor (faculty or staff) prior to creating the survey. Once the student has a the survey, they can do the following: create, delete, edit, copy, translate, set survey options and create response sets.
- Faculty and Staff have no restrictions. They can do the following: Create, delete, edit, copy, activate, deactivate, translate, set survey options, create response sets, and distribute surveys.
- An Important Distinction:
- Activating a Survey - When a survey is activated, a URL is created that can copied and pasted into an email and sent to the intended survey participants. All participants will receive the same URL.
- Distributing a Survey - Choosing to distribute a survey will walk you through the process of creating a letter to be sent out with your survey. It is important to know that you can not use "Distribute" to send a survey to an email list (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org). You will need to enter individual email addresses, which can be done by uploading a .CSV file. With this option, each respondent will receive a unique URL. Please note that a survey has to be activated first before you can use the "Distribute a Survey" option. If you want to distribute the survey to an already existing email list, use the URL provided through activating your survey.
Logging into your Qualtrics account:
1. Open up a web browser, type in skidmore.qualtrics.com, and log in with your Skidmore username and password. (This is the same account that you use to access your email.) You should see the following screen:
2. The first time you login to Qualtrics, you will see the following screen. Click the button that says "I don't have a Qualtrics account." This will create your Skidmore Qualtrics account. (If you are coming from another institution, or you have a personal Qualtrics account that is expiring, select the other option.)
3. Read the "Terms of Service" that will appear, and if you agree to those terms, click on the "I accept" button down at the lower right of the Terms of Service screen.
4. For online training videos and help, click on the "Help and Tutorials" icon located near the top right of your Qualtrics screen:
For Help Using Qualtrics
There are a number of helpful resources you can refer to on your on time to learn how to make Qualtrics work for you:
Qualtrics University - Search by topic on what you would like to learn.
Learn Qualtrics in 5 Easy Steps - Prerecorded training videos (Basic Building, Advanced Building, Anonymous Distribution, Identifying Distribution, and Reporting)
Contact Qualtrics - Here you will find contact numbers to call Qualtrics directly if you have questions related to functionality within the product.
For additional questions, please submit a Help Desk ticket.