Banner Photo Credit: Kuba, Wrapper panel, textile, Raffia, pigment, 29 x 6 3/8 x 1/4 inches, This Kuba textile from the Democratic Republic of the Congo would be sewn together with other panels to make a larger wrapper. The Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, New York, Schenectady Museum & Suits-Bueche Planetarium. 2007.8.144
BS in Studio Art
60 credits in Studio Art
Majors must complete a minimum of 13 studio art courses and three art history courses for a total of 16 courses and at least 60 credit hours.
For complete details, visit our course catalog
Studio Art Department
Studio art offers an impressive array of courses and concentrations (see below) in top-notch facilities that are open 24-7. As a major, you will balance exploration with focus in a particular area as preparation for graduate school or future work in an art-related field. Our students are creative problem-solvers, they are visually literate, and they are resourceful—ideal attributes for a world increasingly engaged in and dependent on visual information and team-oriented approaches. They go on to work as artists, business owners, industrial designers, teachers, and more. And many pursue advanced degrees at some of the nation's finest graduate programs.
Studio art offers a wide range of exploratory classes and studio options in the following areas of concentration:
- Fiber arts
- Jewelry and Metals
- Communication Design
- Digital Media/Interactive Design
Recent internships/projects: Photo documentation of north-south traverse of Norway capturing the unusual qualities of summer light in that country; apprentice at Frittelli and Lockwood textile studio (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.); intern at BRIC, which offers contemporary art, performing art, and community media programs (Brooklyn, N.Y.); and intern, Arts Unbound, dedicated to artistic achievement for those with disabilities and seniors (Orange, N.J.).
Faculty-student summer collaborations: Slip Casting for Landscapes, with ceramics professor; and Weaving the Arabesque: A Exploration in Modern Tapestry Design, with fiber arts professor.
Popular study abroad programs: SACI (Italy); Syracuse University, Florence (Italy); Skidmore in Paris (France);
IES Gerrit Reitveld Academie, Amsterdam (the Netherlands)
Annual senior art majors show: See student artwork since 2009. (https://www.skidmore.edu/art/senior-art-major/)
Student clubs: Pro-Arts, Foundry Club, LINE Art Review, Photography Club (https://www.skidmore.edu/art/student-life/art-clubs.php)
Galleries galore: See our campus art galleries. (https://www.skidmore.edu/art/galleries.php)
VIDEO: Zaria Forman '05 draws beautiful, remote landscapes in order to help save them.
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- Glass artist, Anne C. Ross Glass, Harwich, Mass.
- Textile designer, Barbara Kaslow Designs, NYC
- Cabinetmaker, Beagle and Pots Woodworking, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Jewelry designer/metalsmith, Betsy Douglas, Paradise Valley, Ariz.
- Curator, Carnegie Museum Modern & Contemporary Art, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Web designer/master, Cornell Institute of Digital Collections, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Art therapist, Crawford Day School, Portsmouth, Va.
- Studio artist/owner/designer, Dorothy Hafner Design, Westport, Conn.
- Professor of art and design, Endicott College, Beverly, Mass.
- Photo coordinator, Esquire magazine, NYC
- Textile/surface design professor, Fashion Institute of Technology, NYC
- Art department head, Simon & Schuster, NYC
- Ceramic artist, Maslak Ceramics, Santa Clara, Calif.
- Senior graphic designer, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC
- Art gallery owner, O'H & T Gallery, Boston, Mass.
- Senior director of communications, Pfizer Inc., NYC
- Computer animator, Pixar Animation, Emeryville, Calif.
- Rug designer, Rug Source of Denver, Denver, Colo.
- Artist, self-employed, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Sculptor, metalsmith and furniture maker, self-employed, Boston, Mass.
- Painter, Studio Eight, Alexandria, Va.
- Object conservator, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Conn.
- Art teacher/artist/muralist, Willow Springs Elementary School, Willow Springs, Mo.
- Interior designer, Art & Design Group, Edinburg, Texas
- Engagement marketing manager, New York Times, NYC
- Architectural designer, Xten Architecture, Los Angeles, Calif.
Graduate Schools:A sampler of where our alumni go
- School of the Visual Arts
- Parsons, The New School
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design
- Pratt Institute
- San Fransisco Art Institute
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Cranbrook Academy of Art
- RIT, School of American Craft
- Edinburgh College of Art
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago