BA in Computer Science
- Required computer science courses: CS 206, CS 230, CS 305, CS 306, and CS 318
- Required MC course: MC 215.
- Required mathematics course: MA 200
- Electives: Choose 3
For complete details on requirements for the major, please go here.
The computer science major provides students a solid foundation in theory, applications, and systems—the knowledge and tools they need to focus on a subfield of the discipline that most interests them. Many of our students spend personal time outside of class teaching themselves new programming languages, platforms, and the like. Our students go onto graduate schools or directly into jobs in software or education. Computer science has applications in a broad range of fields, from engineering to medicine, mathematics to aeronautics, human-computer interaction, artificial intelligence, and beyond.
- Programming Languages
- Introduction to Research in Computer Science
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Artificial Intelligence
- Software Design
Recent independent studies: Android software development; Bitcoin mining; Stochastic local search; and Agent-based modeling
Recent faculty-student research projects: Toward detection and recognition of human speakers in meetings; Steganography and digital images; Competing for resources in simulataneous multithreading processors; Prefetching for speculative multithreading multicore processors; and Computational evolution of thought
Recent senior theses: Hardware prefetching for speculative multithreaded processors; Fine-grained resource
allocation of SMT processors; Analysis of data simulation and clustering algorithms;
Moving costs in dynamic models of residential segregation; Epidemiological modeling
with agent-based systems; Reinforcement learning to solve the Rubik's Cube; and The traveling salesman problem in the natural environment
Popular study abroad programs: University of Melbourne (Australia) and
University of Canterbury, Christchurch (New Zealand).
VIDEO: Ahn Vu Nguyen '17 talks about his passion for working with huge-scale data and how Skidmore's funded internship program helped him achieve that goal.
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- Software engineer:
-Charles River Analytics, Cambridge, Mass.
-eBay, Austin, Texas
-Everett Charles Technologies, Clifton Park, N.Y.
-Model N, Evergreen, Colo.
-Oxygen Cloud, San Francisco, Calif.
-TripAdvisor, Newton, Mass.
- Associate, risk and quantitative analysis, BlackRock
- Managing partner, 3 Share Corp., San Diego, Calif.
- Computer scientist, Air Force Research Laboratory/RIED, Rome, N.Y.
- Professor of computer science, Bennington College, Bennington, Vt.
- Entrepreneur, BrianKelley.com, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Special projects programmer, Dexter & Chaney, Seattle, Wash.
- Researcher/technologist/lecturer, Emory Univiversity Eye Clinic, Atlanta, Ga.
- Director of strategic partnerships and initiatives, Equity Investment Bank, Nairobi, Kenya
- Principal, Han Consulting, San Jose, Calif.
- CEO, Herman Trust, Woodland Hills, Calif.
- President/founder, Infinite Research, Atlanta, Ga.
- Associate engineer, Intellution, Norwood, Mass.
- Assistant, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Lexington, Mass.
- Director of computer services, Monroe College, Bronx, N.Y.
- Project manager, Nfrastructure Technologies, Clifton Park, N.Y.
- Production and assembly technician, Normal (NRML.com), NYC
- Application specialist, Rampage Systems, Waltham, Mass.
- Math/computer science teacher, Ridgefield High School, Waterbury, Conn.
- Database developer, DBA, Scholastic, NYC
- Vice president of operations, SGS TestCom, Ballston Spa, N.Y.
- Operations manager, Sterling Commerce, Lowell, Mass.
- Manager, computer engineering, Travelers Insurance, Hartford, Conn.
- Senior UNIX/Linux engineer, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, Mass.
- Software developer, Whitehat Security, Santa Clara, Calif.
Graduate Schools:A sampler of where our alumni go
- Boston University, Ph.D. in biochemistry
- New York University, M.S. in computer science
- SUNY-Albany, Ph.D. in computer science
- University of Bridgeport, M.A. in secondary education
- University of Texas-Austin, M.S. in computer science
- University of Washington-Seattle, M.S. in computer science