BA in Philosophy
30 credits in Philosophy
- Nine courses in philosophy, including PH 203: History of Philosophy: Greek Philosophy; PH 204: History of Philosophy: Early Modern; PH 207: Logic; PH 329: Seminar in Kant; and PH 375: Senior Seminar
- Three of the remaining four courses must be chosen from 300-level philosophy offerings (PH or PR).
- At least five of the total courses for the major must be at the 300-level, with at least two at the 300-level taken in the senior year
For complete details on requirements for the major, please go here.
The earliest endeavors of the Western intellectual tradition were concerned with understanding the nature of the universe and the place of human beings within it. Today, the discipline of philosophy proves no less than it did 2,500 years ago to be an animating principle of intellectual life and culture. Everything we do and say in our everyday lives is based on assumptions about what is good and what is real. Philosophy is ultimately a choice between an unexamined life that passively lets itself be guided by what "people say" and a self-examining life that chooses instead the freedom of self-determination. Grappling with the most fundamental and difficult questions human beings can confront develops skills that serve philosophy majors well in virtually any occupation they choose after graduation—the skills of critical reasoning and interpretation, as well as written and oral expression. It’s no surprise that philosophy majors are outstanding performers on entrance exams to business and law schools. Philosophy is a very practical major in every sense of the word "practical."
- Philosophy of Race and Gender
- Environmental Philosophy
- Social-Political Philosophy
- Existential Philosophy
- Seminar in Kant
- Philosophy of Literature
- Tibetan Buddhism
Recent internships: to come
Recent theses/capstone projects: to come
Study abroad programs: API John Cabot University, Rome (Italy) and Skidmore in Paris (France) are quite popular. Other approved programs include Antioch: Buddhist Studies in India (Bodh Gaya); Arcadia University Ireland, University College Dublin; CIEE Arts and Sciences programs (Cape Town, South Africa, and Tokyo, Japan); and Skidmore programs in London, England (King's College and University College London).
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- Professor of biology, Adelphi University, Garden City, N.Y.
- Rabbi, AM Shalom Congregation, Glencoe, Ill.
- Marketing/business development manager, Apple, San Francisco, Calif.
- Behavior interventionist, Baird Center for Children, Burlington, Vt.
- Teacher/chair, Humanities Department, Ballston Spa Central Schools, Ballston Spa, N.Y.
- Director of writing and speaking program/Senior lecturer, Barnard College, NYC
- Attorney/partner, Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann, NYC
- Attorney/partner, Bryan Cave LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Psychology professor, California State University-Fresno, Fresno, Calif.
- Planner, City of San Francisco, Calif.
- Deputy district attorney, Colorado Court of Appeals, Denver, Colo.
- Law professor, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Associate professor of philosophy, Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa.
- VP and director, Digitas, Boston, Mass.
- Physician, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Assistant federal defender, Capital Habeas Unit, Federal Public Defenders of Delaware, Wilmington, De.
- Senior program manager, Google, San Francisco, Calif.
- Professor of philosophy, High Point University, High Point, N.C.
- Yoga instructor/owner, High Street Yoga, Westerly, R.I.
- CEO, Inquiry Partners, Seattle, Wash.
- Software engineer, K. Force, Framingham, Mass.
- Program coordinator, New York Landmarks Conservancy, NYC
- Psychotherapist, Newport, R.I.
- Deputy director, AIDS Institute, New York State Department of Health, Albany, N.Y.
- Chairman/president/CEO, Quad/Graphics, Sussex, Wis.
- Farmer, Row by Row Farm, East Chatham, N.Y.
- Director of college counseling, Rye Country Day School, Rye, N.Y.
- President and CEO, Shape Up America!, Washington, D.C.
- Associate professor/chair, Department of Philosophy, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
- Head of middle school, St. John's Episcopal School, Dallas, Texas
- European philosophy professor, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand
- Associate clinical professor, bioethics, University of California-Davis, Sacramento, Calif.
- Director of central computing services, University of California, Berkeley, Calif.
Graduate Schools:A sampler of where our alumni go
- To come