Fall 2020 Commitment to Communication
Ongoing and enhanced communication with the entire Skidmore campus community of students, faculty and staff, the Board of Trustees and our students’ parents and families has been crucial to Skidmore's COVID-19 planning process and to providing our students with the highest quality educational opportunities and experiences possible while prioritizing health and safety.
- I write to share an important update and announce additional measures we are taking to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- I write to inform you that, through our weekly testing process, we have identified four confirmed COVID-19 cases this weekend from testing on Thursday, Nov. 12, and Friday, Nov. 13.
- Yesterday, Dean Banks forwarded a message that was sent to all students regarding new Saratoga County Public Health quarantine recommendations for students traveling from New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.
- We are now more than halfway through the fall semester and our collegewide efforts to comply with weekly testing protocols, follow all health and safety guidelines, and make responsible choices continue to put us in a strong position to manage and contain COVID-19 cases on campus.
- President Marc Conner expresses gratitude and kudos to students for working hard to keep COVID-19 in check throughout the first half of the fall semester.
- It’s hard to believe we are already about a third of the way through the fall semester! We have now conducted over 11,000 COVID-19 tests on campus since Aug. 16 and just three have come back positive, with one new active case emerging at the end of last week.
- As we close in on completion of our Phase 4 reopening plan and get ready for the start of the fall semester, now less than a month away, I want to acknowledge and thank all the members of our Skidmore community whose ongoing efforts are aimed at creating as safe, supportive and engaging an academic environment for our students as we can.
- I hope this finds you in good health and doing well during this challenging time in our country and the world. I know that steady communication and information-sharing is vital to our efforts, and so I write today to update you on several key elements in our 2020-21 planning.
- In preparation for an early start to the fall semester, we write to inform you that Skidmore will provide quarantine housing and support to all students who are traveling to Skidmore from any location that requires quarantine, including states on New York State's Travel Advisory List.
- This week, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced changes to the federal Student and Exchange Visitor Program that would potentially have severe negative consequences for our Skidmore students who are from international locations.
- New York Six Consortium presidents object to federal action affecting international students and scholarsThe presidents of the New York Six Liberal Arts Consortium today issued a statement objecting to the Trump Administration’s recent actions limiting opportunities for international students and scholars on American college campuses.
- As a follow-up to last week’s communication from President Marc Conner, I am writing to share additional updates specific to intercollegiate athletics. Thank you for your patience as we continue to work through the details required to reopen the campus and ensure we can have a safe return to practice and competition for our student-athletes.
- Please be advised the Governor has issued an Executive Order requiring all travelers into New York from a state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents, or higher than a 10% test positivity rate, over a seven day rolling average, to quarantine for a period of 14 days upon arrival in the state.
- Last week we shared an update on the fall planning with all faculty and staff on Wednesday, and a separate update with all parents and students on Thursday.
- As we transition back to working on campus, Skidmore has developed a Reopening Safety Action Plan that outlines how we will accomplish this task.
- We appreciate your patience as we continue to work on our plans for the fall term of 2020. As you all know quite well, we face an extremely complex and challenging set of circumstances during this pandemic, and every school in the nation is working through the many challenges of returning to campus while living with this virus.
- I’m pleased and honored to be sending out my first weekly update to you all. Below, I write about the considerations and next steps involved in planning for the fall semester, a new website focused on our reopening planning process, and the decision about our fall study abroad and international programs.
- The last four months have certainly tested us all in ways we never could have anticipated, and we thank you all for your efforts in supporting our students, each other and the mission of Skidmore College during such an immensely challenging time.