Know | Explore | Transform
Please refer to programming and events at the bottom of the page.
Now that you're officially an upperclassman, it's time to review your career goals, search for a summer internship that could turn into a full-time job or begin the graduate school application process. As a junior, here are some of the things you should focus on this year as part of the career development process.
- Review your academic progress and reflect on the knowledge and skills you gained in your first and sophomore years at Skidmore.
- Meet with a career counselor to ensure that you are on target in reaching your career goals.
- Look into study abroad programs.
- Conduct more informational interviews with alumni, parents, and friends of the college by using Skidmore's Career Advisor Network, Alumni Relations Skidmore Connect or LinkedIn.
- Complete ongoing research using the vast array of resources that the Career Development Center has to offer.
- Review What Can I Do With This Major?
- Update your resume and cover letter and have them reviewed by a career coach in the CDC.
- Update your profile on Handshake and upload your latest resume.
- Update your LinkedIn profile.
- Maintain and manage your online professional image.
- Research occupations on O*Net and the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Join one or more professional associations at a discounted student rate.
- Apply for internships.
- Learn more about graduate school opportunities.
- Attend the Graduate and Professional School Expo in October.
- Attend Career Jam in October.
- Attend career-related programs and events put on by the Career Development Center and other departments on campus.
- Participate and take on leadership roles through committee work or running for an executive position with a student organization or club on campus.
- Engage in a community service project.
Coming in September 2017
Wall Street / Consulting 101, September 16, TBD
Internship drop-in hours: 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Wednesdays and 2–4 p.m. Thursdays at the CDC
Graduate School Expo, October 4
Pillars of Wall Street, October 8, TBD
Career Jam, October 20
Career and internship connections workshop, TBD