Know | Explore | Transform
Please refer to programming and events at the bottom of the page.
Once you've engaged in learning more about your personality, values, interests and skills by taking the My Plan assessment or speaking with a career counselor, it's time to move forward in the career exploration process. This step requires that you take what you've learned about yourself in the know phase of the career development process and translate that information into potential majors and careers. As a sophomore student, you will want to check off the next steps of the process below prior to starting your junior year.
- Meet with a career counselor to help develop a career plan.
- Learn how your preferences, interests, personality, values and skills relate to majors and careers.
- Meet with your faculty advisor or a career counselor to discuss selecting a college major.
- Conduct informational interviews with alumni, parents and friends of the college by using Skidmore's Career Advisor Network, Alumni Relations Skidmore Connect or LinkedIn.
- Complete ongoing research using the vast array of resources that the Career Development Center has to offer.
- Prepare a resume and cover letter and have them reviewed by a career coach in the CDC.
- Create or update your profile on Handshake and upload your latest resume.
- Create a LinkedIn profile.
- Begin clarifying your career choice by gaining experience through experiential opportunities.
- Start searching for opportunities (including internships) for summer or during fall or spring semester.
- Learn about graduate school opportunities.
- Attend the Graduate and Professional School Expo in October.
- Attend Career Jam in October.
- Attend career-related programs and events put on by the Career Development Center and other departments on campus.
- Participate in student organizations or clubs on campus.
- Look into study abroad programs.
- Engage in a community service project.
Coming in October 2017
Internship Drop-In Hours: 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Wednesdays, 2–4 p.m. Thursdays, CDC
Graduate School Expo, October 4
Career Jam, October 20
Career and internship connections workshop, TBD
Showcase of Stars, TBD