Skidmore Social Justice Seminar and Work Study Placement
This course was a good bridge in connecting my Roosevelt learning experience to Skidmore after my summer internship. It allowed me to understand and acknowledge my personal agency and role as a citizen in Saratoga Springs and what I can offer to this community. After this semester, I feel a deeper connection to Saratoga Springs as my community away from home. It is just as important to become engaged with the Saratoga community as it is to get involved in my hometown in New York City.New World Fellow 2013
Social Justice Seminar
One-credit seminar with Sociology Professor/Associate Dean David Karp and Community Service Director Michelle Hubbs. This seminar is takes place from the fall semester. The goals of this experience are to:
- Reflect on what was learned during the summer internship and consider potential academic, professional, and social justice goals.
- Participate in service in Saratoga as a Work Study Placement and reflect on this service.
- Better understand the social issues related to internship placements.
- Educate the campus community about relevant social issues.
- Develop leadership skills in effective communication, networking, collaboration, and problem-solving.
- Gain practice in community organizing, grant-writing, and policy writing.
- Summer reflections and planning fall placements
- Fall placements
- Needs Assessment
- Policy Recommendations
- Campus Education Project
- Grant Writing
- Skill-Building Review
- Academic, Career, and Citizenship Goals
SARATOGA 2014 WORK STUDY PLACEMENTS
- 6-10 hours/week at a community-based organization.
- Each student will receive Work Study payment.
- Past placements include Saratoga Mentoring, EOC Latino Advocacy Project, Lake Avenue Elementary School, and Saratoga Public Library.
Examples of possible placements include:
- Economic Opportunity Council
- Latino Advocacy Program
- Mediation Matters
- Saratoga Bridges
- Saratoga Center for the Family
- Saratoga County District Attorney’s Office
- Saratoga County Public Defender’s Office
- Saratoga County Department of Probation
- Saratoga Mentoring
- Saratoga Prevention Council
- Saratoga Public Library
- Saratoga Springs School District
- Shelters of Saratoga