The single largest academic initiative in Skidmore’s history, CIS will be a hub that fosters unique interdisciplinary connections between and among the sciences, arts, humanities and social sciences. Construction of the first phase began in May 2018.
The construction of the North Wing is now complete and will open to faculty and students for teaching and learning in fall 2020.
- 200,000 square feet of new and renovated space, 46 research labs, 16 classrooms and meeting rooms and 22 teaching labs
- All 10 science departments and programs and 90+ science faculty under one roof
- An IdeaLab where students and faculty can explore solutions to today’s key issues
- In the last decade, the number of science majors has doubled.
- Classrooms are spread across campus, and aging labs can no longer accommodate today's dynamic curriculum or number of students.
- Most of the complex challenges our society faces today involve science. All of them demand that we think beyond traditional boundaries.
- Creative thought needs a home that fosters collaboration and inspires innovative solutions to real-world problems.