Photo Policy and Guidelines
- High-resolution, downloadable images
- Robust and quick-find searches
- An advanced search (click on the camera icon next to the “quick find” box)
- Selection of images for saving and sharing with others
- Larger “thumbnail” views of photo selections
Skidmore also has a videos page. Subjects include collaborative research, academic experiences, internships, alumni and athletics; and we continue to update the page as we produce new videos. Feel free to link to these videos in your own websites or emails.
Photography request policy
Without a staff photographer, we must hire student or freelance photographers. Our budget simply doesn’t allow us to pay for photo coverage for every event and purpose. To keep the process manageable, we’ve established the following guidelines to clarify which services we can provide through the Office of Communications and Marketing. In determining when we can arrange and pay for a photographer, we will be asking:
- Will the images be used for a homepage story or press release?
- Will they be used in one of the college’s publications?
- Will they be used for college news, web, social media or marketing purposes?
If not, we will be happy to provide you with a list of freelance photographers whom you can hire at a reasonable cost.
Because Skidmore is positioning itself as a creative institution, committed to excellence through integrative learning, our photos, particularly homepage photos, must engage our visitors through high-quality visual storytelling. The goal for homepage images is to communicate the intended messages to target audiences and inspire them to find out more. View our homepage story guidelines.
- All images should come from or be approved by Communications and Marketing staff
- All images should show individuals actively and naturally engaged with each other and should avoid still or unathentic poses
- Homepage images must be horizontal and cropped to 1920 x 1200 pixels
- Homepage images must be composed/cropped to allow for the left-side navigation, a visible logo, and the caption box in the lower right corner
- Homepage images should enhance the identity and reputation of the college and should be directed toward our target audiences
- Images of faculty and staff should portray them in a flattering and professional manner
- Requests for specific images for stories should made well in advance. Visual resources staff can then choose the best image or hire the appropriate photographer
- Illustrations or drawings are not used unless previously approved and necessary to the content
- Images should be in focus, well-lit, well composed and properly optimized for color correction
- Visual resources staff will optimize all images for the homepage and for other major pages on the Skidmore website
We will make you aware when relevant photos are available to you.
When the Office of Communications and Marketing adds photos and videos that may be relevant to your department or program, Idalia Sepúlveda will let you know, so that you can use them in your own web pages or for other purposes. If you have questions about this service, please call Idalia at ext. 5673.
We will provide opportunities for free faculty headshots.
Twice a year, in consultation with faculty leaders, we schedule a day when a professional photographer sets up in a central campus location to take new headshots of faculty members who would like an updated image. the Office of Communications and Marketing will also use these photographs, with permission, for our news and marketing purposes, including our faculty experts guide for the media. We will let you know when the next photo sessions are scheduled.
We are here to help.
If you have any questions about photos or videos please contact Vickie Riley at email@example.com or ext. 5252.