Opportunities for Students
Each semester, the Office of Community Service identifies opportunities for individual students, clubs, teams and classes to volunteer in the local community. Some projects last just a few hours or a day; others ask for an ongoing commitment of a few hours each week. Do you want to pick apples for the regional food bank? Do you want to mentor at-risk kids? Do you want to help build a house with Habitat for Humanity?
- Explore a list of local agencies and community partners
- Student volunteer application (Submit this form if you are a student interested in becoming a volunteer and then we will get back to you with relevant opportunities.)
- Service Projects: Make a difference in a community, be it Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs or in another country. For examples of past projects, go to the Honors Forum home page.
- If you are interested in planning an event or traveling to an event, please follow guidelines listed on the Leadership Activities webpage.
- For academic civic engagement initiatives, visit the Civic Engagement webpage.
The only SGA-sponsored student volunteer club, Benef-Action is dedicated to serving Skidmore's students and the Saratoga community by facilitating community service experiences and publicizing volunteer opportunities. Benef-Action sponsors several sub-groups and special events throughout the year.
Benef-Action Sponsored Events
- Habitat for Humanity
- Saratoga Mentoring
- Special Olympics Swimming
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Shelters of Saratoga
Internships and Careers
Are you interested in doing an internship with a nonprofit agency? Are you thinking about a career that helps promote the common good or solves real-world problems? The Office of Career Services has resources to help.
- Search internships
- Search careers for social activism/socially conscious
- Search careers with nonprofits
- Idealist Nonprofit Career Videos
Idealist.org is an excellent resource. See interviews with professionals talking about what it is like to work in the nonprofit sector, exploring:
- a typical day of work
- their personal career path
- responsibilities and roles associated with their job
- advice for people looking to start a career in their field
Many students participate in volunteer projects during vacation periods and while studying abroad. Various offices on campus offer assistance: The Office of Community Service Programs, Office of Career Services and Office of Off-Campus Study and Exchanges.