Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Emergency Preparedness

Chemical HazMat Spill

  • Any spillage of a hazardous chemical or radioactive material is to be reported immediately to Campus Safety at ext. 5566 and Facilities Services at ext. 5860.
  • When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and exact location. Campus Safety will contact the necessary specialized authorities and medical personnel.
  • Anyone who may have been contaminated by the spill must use emergency showers to begin rinsing contamination from clothing and skin. Contact Health Services or Campus Safety.
  • If an emergency exists, activate the building alarm. Caution: the building alarm only rings in the building; you must also report the emergency by phone. Refer to the section on Evacuation Procedures for further details.
  • When the building evacuation alarm is sounded, an emergency exists. Walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
  • Assist those with disabilities in exiting the building!Do not use elevators.
  • Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building(s). Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
  • If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
  • A command [ost may be set up near the disaster site. Keep clear of the command post unless you have official business.
  • Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a college official.