Criminal or Suspicious Behavior
Everyone is asked to assist in making the campus a safe place by being alert to suspicious
situations and promptly reporting them.
Notify Department of Campus Safety at 518-580-5566 to report the incident, including the following:
- Nature of the incident.
- Location of the incident.
- Description of person(s) involved.
- Description of property involved.
If you observe a criminal act, or whenever you observe a suspicious person on campus:
- Immediately notify the Department of Campus Safety at 518-580-5566. You may also use the confidential TIPS line (518-580-8477) to report suspicious activity.
- Assist the officers when they arrive by supplying them with all additional information and ask others to cooperate.
- If there is gunfire or an explosion, you should take cover immediately using all available concealment. After the disturbance, seek emergency first aid if necessary.
What to Do If Taken Hostage
The initial 45 minutes are the most dangerous. Follow instructions, be alert—and stay alive. The captor is likely to be emotionally imbalanced.
- Don't speak unless spoken to and then only when necessary. Don't talk down to the captor, who may be in an agitated state. Avoid appearing hostile.
- Try to rest. Avoid speculating. Comply with instructions as best you can. Avoid arguments. Expect the unexpected.