Explosion on Campus
In the event an explosion, take the following action:
- Immediately take cover under a table, desk, or other object that will give protection against falling glass or debris.
- After the immediate effects of the explosion and/or fire have subsided, notify the Department of Campus Safety at 518-580-5812.
- Give your name and describe the location and nature of the emergency.
- If necessary, or when directed to do so, activate the building alarm (fire alarm). (Refer to the section on Evacuation Procedures.)
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded or when you are told by College officials to leave, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and advise others to do the same. Assist those with disabilities in exiting the building! Remember that elevators are reserved for them. Do not use elevators in case of fire.
- Once outside, move to a clear area that is at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews. Report to your Evacuation Assembly Point as soon as possible.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- A Command Post may be set up near the disaster site. Keep clear of the Command Post unless you have official business.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a College official.