Policies and Practices
In order for Skidmore to operate effectively, it is essential that Supervisors carry out their delegated responsibilities in accordance with the College's goals and objectives. Responsibilities of an effective Supervisor include:
- Be knowledgeable of, understand and comply with the policies and practices of Skidmore College and ensure that those who work in the department or area comply as well.
- Assign and review work; ensure the proper completion of day-to-day work in his or her area of responsibility.
- Ensure appropriate training and Employee orientation for those in the department and work area; provide Employees with the appropriate tools and resources to perform work.
- Actively promote equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion.
- Promote safe work practices and conditions.
- Establish standards and expectations for work performance; meet with Employees to discuss and clearly communicate them.
- Evaluate Employee's job performance regularly according to the College's Performance Review Process.
- Advise and counsel Employees regarding their performance; suggest or effect disciplinary action consistent with Skidmore's Employee Conduct policy.
- Regularly review Employees' Position Questionnaire (PQ) and submit changes as appropriate per the College's PQ peer review process.
- Recommend or select current Employees or applicants to fill vacant positions consistent with Skidmore's hiring policies and practices.
- Serve as the primary resources for Employees, as well as assist with their work-related problems, whenever appropriate.
Additionally, Skidmore asks Supervisors to encourage Employees to serve on College committees, work groups and attend College meetings.
Almost any action taken concerning an Employee begins with the recommendation of the Supervisor. The responsibilities listed here cover the essential part of a Supervisor's duties, but is not intended to be a complete list.
If you have questions or require additional information with respect to any Handbook content, please contact Human Resources (extension 5800).
Section 5 - Updated July 2017