IT Purchasing and Software Requests
Skidmore College has standard hardware (Windows or Macintosh) and software configurations supplied to both faculty and staff. If your needs cannot be met with one of our standard configurations, we will work with you to find an appropriate solution.
The vendors listed below offer academic discounts:
- Dell: academic site Skidmore member ID = US53830003
- Apple: The Skidmore Shop is an authorized Apple campus store (discounted academic pricing.)
Contact the Skidmore Shop for additional information.
Microsoft Office 365
The College has standardized on Microsoft Office 365.
Current matriculated students, faculty and staff are able to obtain Microsoft Office 365 for free with a valid Skidmore email address. Microsoft allows the installation of Office on up to five personal devices. The license expires when you graduate, transfer or separate from Skidmore College. Note: Non-matriculating students, alumni and retirees are not eligible for this program.
To take advantage of this great new offer:
- Begin on the personal computer that you want Office installed on.
- Login to your official Skidmore Office 365 online account http://www.outlook.com/skidmore.edu using any current web browser.
- After you successfully login, click on "Office 365" in the top navigation bar.
- Find and click on the "Install" link (usually located below the grouped icons).
- Download Office, install it and begin using right away!
If you have any questions, please contact the IT Help Desk at email@example.com.
- Mathematica for Students (available no cost to students):directions on how to download
- SPSS Student Software:purchase SPSS
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.): If students would like Adobe products for their personal machines—Puchase Adobe products.
- MATLAB: For directions on downloading MATLAB please contact your professor or contact the Help Desk at x5900.
The college holds licenses for a variety of software titles. View a list of software on public computers.
To inquire about the availability of licenses for the software titles we hold, please email the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are the most commonly requested software titles.
- SPSS statistics for college-owned computers and faculty
- Modules are licensed selectively. View modules selected by the college here.
- The main college license is only for "teaching and non-commercial academic research on computers owned by the college."
- The college has limited home-use licenses. You may request a license by entering a help ticket.
- The college purchased a very limited number of licenses for administrators' office computers. You may request a license by entering a help ticket.
Faculty home/personal computers
- Through Skidmore's licensing, faculty and staff may purchase home use licenses. (login with Skidmore credentials) List of software titles
- Mathematica: Our Mathematica agreement includes faculty home-use licenses. Go to this Mathematica web page to request it. Get the license code from the IT Director of Academic Technologies.