Spring 2022 Photo Contest
Off-Campus Study & Exchanges invites you to take part in the OCSE Photo Contest and
share your favorite off-campus study experiences with the campus!
As a Skidmore off-campus study participant during the 2020-21 academic year (fall 2020, spring 2021) or fall 2021, or travel seminar participant, you may enter up to five photos taken during your off-campus study experience in the OCSE Photo Contest.
The contest consists of four categories and will also include a Best of Show award for the best photograph, regardless of category. Students can submit a maximum of five (5) photos total across all four categories. You many submit more than one photo to any given category, but no more than five overall. Review the guidance in the submission form for more information on photo format and entry requirements.
- My Self(ie)
Submit photos of yourself or other students on your program during your off-campus study. Special consideration given to photos highlighting students interacting with the local culture, with their homestay family, or for creative selfies.
- My City
Capture the atmosphere of your program location or the place(s) you visited during your off-campus study. Photos can include landmarks, landscapes, scenes from daily life (such as bustling local markets or commuting crowds), local residents, etc. Special consideration given to photos taken in the city or town you lived in.
- My Host Culture
Submit photos that best exhibit current events in your city or highlight your city’s cultural celebrations or traditions, such as national holidays, performances, regional cuisine, routine family gatherings, or ceremonies.
- My Studies
Show us what the “study” part of studying off-campus looks like! Photos could feature (but are not limited to) your school, action shots of fieldwork, long-term projects you completed, and you or other students volunteering or working in the local culture.
- Best in Show
The best photograph, regardless of category, as determined by the judging committee.
The contest consists of two categories and will also include a Best of Show award for the best photograph, regardless of category. Students can submit a maximum of five (5) photos total across both categories. Read the official rules for more information on photo formats and entry requirements.
How to Enter
Submit your entry form with photos uploaded no later than March 4, 2022.
- Entrants must have participated in an off-campus study program or travel seminar anytime during the 2020-21 academic year or fall 2021. The contest is not open to OCSE employees.
- Photos must be the original work (no professional photos will be accepted) and have been taken by the entrant during the entrant’s off-campus study program or by another participant on the entrant’s program.
- A maximum of five (5) photos may be submitted by each entrant.
- Photos must be digital, must be print quality. Please upload the original photo file and do not copy the pictures that have been uploaded on facebook.
- Save each image as a separate file. Please name the file with your full name and the name you gave your photo in the submission form. For example: emilygaul_japantravelseminar.jpeg.
Entries will be reviewed by representatives of the Office of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges. Using the criteria below, OCSE will select the submissions that will move onto the 2nd round.
Selection criteria include:
- Representation of the study abroad experience in relation to the category.
- Sensitivity toward the host culture.
- Technical Merit (clarity, focus, lighting, etc.)
- Photos featuring yourself and/or other students abroad are strongly encouraged. Other topics may include local people, culture specific activities, traditions, landmarks, cityscapes, landscapes etc.
The shortlisted photos from round one will become a part of a small exhibition on campus where Skidmore students will be able to vote for their favorite submission in each category!
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by March 25th, and the exhibition will be held on April 8th, 2022.
The winning photos will be announced after the exibibition on April 8th.
- The first place winner of each category will be awarded a $50 prize and the photo selected for the Best of Show will be awarded a $100 prize.
- Awards will be distributed to students’ Skidmore ID declining balance account that can be used on and off campus. See https://www.skidmore.edu/card/ for on and off campus merchants.
- Selected photos may be displayed around campus. A limited number of photos will be printed and displayed in the OCSE office.
- Winning photos may be reproduced in OCSE marketing, publications, or the website.
All photo entries (winners and non-winners) will become property of the Office of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges and can be used for Skidmore marketing and publications at any time.
*Students that are awarded prize money or prizes which have a monetary value must be advised that they will be required to complete a W9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number), which will be submitted to Skidmore College’s Accounts Payable Office.
Please see the winning photos from the most recent OCSE Photo Contests below.
- See more at: http://a.cms.omniupdate.com/files/content?site=dev&target=dev&path=/ocse/contests/photo/index.php&rev=16&nonce=1442417073390#sthash.4vsSZtUZ.dpuf