Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Pres logo

Skidmore's Leaders Over The Years

Lucy Skidmore Scribner, founderLucy Skidmore Scribner, Founder

Skidmore College's predecessor institution, the Young Women's Industrial Club, was founded by Lucy Skidmore Scribner (1853–1931) in 1903. According to its constitution, the Young Women's Industrial Club promoted "the cultivation of such knowledge and arts as may promote (members') well-being, physical, mental, spiritual, and ability to become self-supporting." The Regents of the State of New York granted the school, newly renamed the Skidmore School of Arts, a provisional charter on August 31, 1911. (read more


 

skidmore's presidents

Dating back to 1911, when Skidmore College’s first president, Charles H. Keyes, was inducted, Skidmore’s presidents have continued to pioneer our future. Building upon the foundation of their predecessors, every president has made a dramatic impact on the College and has been integral to our success today as one of the top liberal arts institutions in the country. Our presidents together have established a tradition of leadership, investment and confidence in our institution. 

 

Marc C. Connermarc c. conner
2020–PRESENT

An innovative leader of interdisciplinary academic programs, a longtime advocate of diversity and inclusion initiatives and a widely published professor of English, President Conner joined Skidmore College following over 24 years at Washington and Lee University, a private liberal arts university in Lexington, Virginia, where he co-founded the African American studies program. He also established Washington and Lee’s Office of Community-Based Learning and its Center for Academic Resources and Pedagogical Excellence, created interdisciplinary programs in data science and law, and steered the university's faculty recruitment, hiring and retention diversity initiatives. 

In keeping with his scholarly pursuits, on President Conner’s first day as Skidmore’s eighth president, he launched the Presidential Initiative for Racial Justice at Skidmore College, as a means to seek to address the realities of racial injustice locally, nationally and globally. (read more)

 

Philip A. GlotzbachPHILIP A. GLOTZBACH
2003–2020

Philip A. Glotzbach joined the Skidmore community in July 2003. During his 17-year tenure, President Glotzbach oversaw a range of initiatives that enhanced both the College’s academic offerings and physical landscape. Under President Glotzbach, the campus transformed with the construction of Northwood’s Village, Sussman Village, Arthur Zankel Music Center, and most recently, the Center for Integrated Sciences. Glotzbach headed the two most ambitious fundraising campaigns in Skidmore’s history — Creative Thought Bold Promise, which concluded in 2010 by raising $216.5 million, and Creating Our Future: The Campaign for Skidmore, which exceeded the $200 million fundraising goal and extended the conclusion to December 31, 2020 . Within each of the campaign’s priorities, Glotzbach aimed to increase access — racially, ethnically, economically, and geographically — ultimately creating the most diverse and academically accomplished student body in the College’s history.  (read more)

 

Jamienne S. StudleyJAMIENNE S. STUDLEY
1999–2003

In 1999, Jamienne S. Studley became Skidmore's sixth president and the first woman to hold that office. President Studley led a strategic planning process that established the college's direction for the coming decade. The plan outlined three major goals: enhancing academic quality; attracting an increasingly talented, motivated, and diverse student body; and strengthening the sense of community and citizenship across the campus. (read more)

 

David H. PorterDAVID H. PORTER
1987–1999

David H. Porter, the college's fifth president, came to Skidmore in 1987. His Commission on the '90s helped to chart Skidmore's course for the future, including new institutional priorities, emphasis on academics, provisions for long-term finanical stability, and promoting of diversity in both campus and curriculum. The campus landscape changed dramatically during his tenure, as Skidmore renovated and expanded Scribner Library, constructed an outdoor athletic complex, built an addition to the Sports and Recreation Center, and expanded Dana Science Center. (read more)

 

Joseph C. Palamountain Jr.JOSEPH C. PALAMOUNTAIN JR.
1965–1987

Joseph C. Palamountain Jr., Skidmore's fourth president, took office in 1965. His 22-year presidency was characterized by impressive growth in the academic and financial areas of the College. During Palamountain's presidency, there were two innovative curriculum changes and the chartering of a Phi Beta Kappa chapter. The financial health of Skidmore was bolstered by growth in the endowment due in part to the Celebration Campaign. (read more)

 

Val H. WilsonVAL H. WILSON
1957–1965

Val H. Wilson became Skidmore's third president in 1957. He concentrated on strengthening the faculty and academic programs, initiated inroads in the creation of interdepartmental offerings and encouraged more and more students to enter graduate school. By the time his tenure was cut short by his sudden death in 1964, Wilson saw construction begin on the Lucy Scribner Library and on the first residential and dining complex. (read more)

 

Henry T. MooreHENRY T. MOORE
1925–1957 

Henry T. Moore became Skidmore's second president in 1925, ready to take on the challenge of developing the young college both academically and physically. Even more significant than his administrative and financial abilities was his influence on a generation of Skidmore students whom he inspired to intellectual and creative achievement. (read more)

 

Charles Henry KeyesCharles Henry Keyes
1912–1925

Charles Henry Keyes, a well-known educator from Teachers College, Columbia University, became Skidmore's first president in 1912. In addition to developing a liberal arts curriculum that became the basis for Skidmore's present curriculum, Keyes pioneered the formation of a baccalaureate nursing program and began the more active shaping of a campus. (read more)