Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Residential Life

Information for Parents and Families

Welcome to the parents and family page! Here you can find information you may need about Residential Life.

Do you have a question? Check out our FAQs listed below for answers to a variety of common questions. If you have a specific question not answered there, contact us at by email or by phone at 518-580-5765.

As our philosophy states, we view your student as a maturing individual responsible for their experience here at Skidmore.

Our office hours are Monday–Friday 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. We check our email and voicemail daily and will respond to concerns within 48 hours. In the case of any emergencies, please contact Campus Safety at 518-580-5566.

Important Information

   2017–18 Residential Life Important Dates
   2017–18 College Academic Calendar
   Apartment packing list
   Residence hall packing list
   Residential Life and Housing Handbook
   Student Handbook

Helpful Information

   Parent relations
   Helping your student with roommate concerns
   Seasonal student concerns

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Can my student bring a fridge to campus?

  • Yes, each student may have a fridge no larger than 3.3 cubic feet in size. We recommend only one fridge per room.

What sorts of cooking appliances are allowed in the residence halls?

  • Cooking appliances are not permitted in residence hall rooms. Certain items such as electric teakettles and single-serve brewer coffeemakers may be used. Every floor contains a kitchenette that has a microwave and a refrigerator.

Will my student have access to a landline in their room?

  • We do not provide land line phone service to students. It is recommended your student have a cellphone to make calls.

How do I address mail to my student?

  • The Post Office has information on how mail works on campus.

Is there a place on campus where my student may cash checks, do banking, etc.?

  • There is a branch of SEFCU on our campus, where students may create an account in order to do banking.  There are also ATMs located in the Case Center.

How will my student get their laundry done?

  • There are two options for students on campus. One is the laundry rooms found in every residence building on campus. Your student will need money on their Skidmore ID card in order to pay the $1.75 for using the washer and $1.75 for the dryer. The other option is for the student to set up service with E&R Laundry.

Will my student be assigned a roommate their first year? When will we receive that information?

  • Yes, all students will be assigned a roommate (or roommates) their first year. We use the housing preference form to help determine who should live together. Room assignments with roommate information is sent out in late July or early August.

Who should my student reach out to for help with _____?

  • Your student has a variety of resources on campus. The resident assistants (RAs) are a great source of information and can connect your student with the many resources found on our campus. There are also professional staff members such as our area coordinators (see our staff page) for additional assistance.

My student doesn't get along with their roommate, what should I do?

  • The best thing you can do is listen openly to their concerns and encourage them to seek the help of their RA. For additional tips, you can share with your student see our Helping Your Student with Roommate Concerns document.

If I am having trouble contacting my student, is there an office I can call to check in on them?

  • Yes, should you become concerned that you are unable to contact your student, you may reach out to Campus Safety at 518-580-5566 to have an officer check in on your student.

My student was caught with alcohol/drugs, what are the ramifications of this?

May my student remain at Skidmore over breaks?

  • Vacation or break housing is provided for students during Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks. Students must complete the application form to stay, which is emailed to them in an informational email a couple of weeks before the break. 

Where can I stay locally if I want to visit?

  • There are a variety of hotels in the area. Please visit for more information on lodging options in Saratoga Springs.


What housing options are available on campus?

  • We have seven suite-style residence halls and one corridor-style residence hall. Additionally there are two-, three- four- and five-person apartments on campus.

Will my student be in a triple their first year?

  • Many of our first year students do live in triples. We work hard to de-triple students as spaces become available on campus.

My student needs to live in specific circumstances due to health issues; how do we go about getting the accommodations?

  • Meg Hegener, coordinator of student access services, is in charge of our accommodation process. More information on the process may be found by clicking here.

My student has a light out, clogged drain or temperature issue, who takes care of this?

  • Your student should contact their RA to have a work order put in to have the issue taken care of. For minor concerns it may take several days before the repair will happen. If it has been a week without a repair, your student should let the RA know that no repair has happened so that further action may be taken.

My student needs a room change. How does that process work?

  • First, the student needs to fill out a room-change application. This happens on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on the spaces we have on campus. While your student is waiting for a room change, we highly recommend they go to the RA to help mediate a solution in the room while they wait if the student is in a double or triple. More information on the room change process can be found on the room change page of our website. 

My student will be selecting housing soon; what do I need to know?

  • First your student should make sure no holds are on their account. They can check that online. They must also complete the housing application. They will then follow the directions from the email sent by our office with their lottery number and time to select.

My student needs to take a leave of absence; what is the procedure for moving out?

  • You will have 24 hours from the time the leave is accepted to move all items out of the residence space.

My student is moving out of the building; what do we need to know?

  • At the end of the year when your student moves out, they must leave withing 24 hours of their last final exam, unless they are sponsored to stay for senior week. All personal belongings must be removed, and damage or trash left will result in a fine being put on the student's account over the summer.

My student is moving out. What should we do for storage?

  • The college does not supply storage for students. It is expected that students remove all personal belongings when they move out of their space. There are many local storage facilities that may be found by clicking here.

My student will be living in the apartments; are dishes and pans provided?

  • No, students are responsible for procuring the necessary tools and dishes for preparing food in the apartments.

Joining Res Life

Should my student become an RA?

  • That is up to your student. RAs are typically students who are caring, thoughtful, good with administrative tasks, wanting to help other students and willing to enforce the school's policies. If this sounds like your student, then this position may be a great fit.

When is the selection process for RAs?

  • The selection process for new RAs typically begins in January and runs through March each year. Students who are interested in applying may visit our Join Our Staff page for more information.