Motor Vehicle Policy: Golf & Utility Carts
Due to the potential dangers associated with operating a golf or utility cart, faculty, staff and students who plan to drive a golf/utility cart must:
- complete the safety training course, available here,
- be an approved driver per the college's motor vehicle policy and
- know the following procedures and rules:
- Always yield to pedestrians and limit use in areas where there is high pedestrian traffic.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Possess an unrestricted valid U.S. driver's license.
- Obey all New York State motor vehicle laws, codes and regulations.
- Do not exceed 20 mph.
- Slow down before making sharp turns.
- Never drive while impaired by alcohol, medication, illness, fatigue or injury.
- Ensure no more than two (2) occupants ride on the vehicle at one time.
- Remove key from vehicle when not in use.
- Drive in a defensive manner, anticipating situations that may be hazardous.
- Avoid driving the vehicle at night (unless with the permission of the department supervisor).
- Operation of the vehicle is restricted to Skidmore’s main campus and college properties located immediately adjacent to the main campus. Specifically, vehicles are permitted to cross North Broadway only to access locations north of the Scribner House. Clinton Avenue is strictly prohibited.